• 1 Post By victory13
  • 1 Post By Nazsmum
  • 2 Post By jack46606
  • 1 Post By gerigaj857

#1 of 28 Old 08-14-2020, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Pediatrician in PA who allows exceptions to masking policy?

My child cannot wear a mask. He needs to see a pediatrician to get his physical for school and to get a note for the school stating that he's medically exempt from wearing a mask. His current pediatrician not only refuses to write mask exemptions for people with medical conditions, she won't even let him in the building without a mask. I need to find someone before school starts on the 31st, because our district is going fully, physically back to school -- not even hybrid. Please help!

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, who both 
-ed, who were both
-ed, and both 
.   Also, 
, and 
!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 08-15-2020, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
If the child has a condition that makes it unsafe to wear a mask, how in the world is it safe to send that child to school?
applejuice likes this.

Bring back the old MDC
#3 of 28 Old 08-16-2020, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
I hope that you can find a Dr.
applejuice likes this.

#4 of 28 Old 08-16-2020, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Sorry I don't know of a doctor, but I hope you find one. Some other ideas I have are maybe he could wear a face shield instead of mask. Or you could find an online school outside of your district. If it's online it wouldn't matter how close it is to you.
applejuice and Nazsmum like this.
#5 of 28 Old 08-16-2020, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post
If the child has a condition that makes it unsafe to wear a mask, how in the world is it safe to send that child to school?
There is absolutely nothing about my son's medical condition that makes it unsafe for him to be in school.
applejuice likes this.

, who both 
-ed, who were both
-ed, and both 
.   Also, 
, and 
!
#6 of 28 Old 08-16-2020, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory13 View Post
Sorry I don't know of a doctor, but I hope you find one. Some other ideas I have are maybe he could wear a face shield instead of mask.
Unfortunately another condition he has is migraines which are easily triggered. He tried to wear a face shield but it put too much pressure on his head and he started to get a headache.
applejuice likes this.

, who both 
-ed, who were both
-ed, and both 
.   Also, 
, and 
!
#7 of 28 Old 08-17-2020, 04:39 PM

I like this shield, it's worn like glasses, there is no band around the head. https://www.etsy.com/listing/8099978...viewed-2&frs=1
#8 of 28 Old 08-17-2020, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I like this shield, it's worn like glasses, there is no band around the head. https://www.etsy.com/listing/8099978...viewed-2&frs=1
He also wears glasses, though. I don't think that would work with his glasses.
applejuice likes this.

, who both 
-ed, who were both
-ed, and both 
.   Also, 
, and 
!
#9 of 28 Old 08-17-2020, 10:49 PM

It does work with glasses, since the glasses frame on the shield is only partial. My dad wears it with his glasses. I don't know if it works with all glasses.
applejuice likes this.
#10 of 28 Old 08-18-2020, 04:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We found a nice shield from Mototeks; it covers the mouth and just past the end of the nose. Employees at a local store here wear them, so they are legal. They are from Mototeks, and are called 'mouth shield masks' I hope this helps! Though there are many who say that masks do more harm than good, but we do what we can to make life work for us!
applejuice likes this.
#11 of 28 Old 08-18-2020, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It does work with glasses, since the glasses frame on the shield is only partial. My dad wears it with his glasses. I don't know if it works with all glasses.
How would you get them both to rest on your ears, though? Seems like they'd get in the way of each other.
applejuice likes this.

, who both 
-ed, who were both
-ed, and both 
.   Also, 
, and 
!
#12 of 28 Old 08-18-2020, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmanmom View Post
Though there are many who say that masks do more harm than good
I think it's quite likely they do more harm than good. I wear one myself, and so does my daughter, but my son CANNOT wear them. He has tried so many different ones.

I hope we can get one of these shields to work for him.

In any case, though, I know that there are many medical conditions that make it unsafe for people to wear masks, so how are all these people finding doctors who will let them in the building??

Are they all just doing what my son is currently being forced to do -- going without medical care?
applejuice likes this.

, who both 
-ed, who were both
-ed, and both 
.   Also, 
, and 
!
#13 of 28 Old 08-19-2020, 12:37 AM

The Mototek shield is the least invasive that we have found, and we love how you can still see the wearer's mouth and facial expressions. Interestingly, the average life expectancy in the USA is around 78.7 years. The average age for someone to die of the corona virus is between 79.5 to 80 years old, depending on the source you use, so realistically, it does not appear to be changing our life expectancy. And for children, it has pretty much only been fatal for a couple of dozen in the whole country, all of whom had other serious, comorbid conditions. This is not said to be depressing, but to shed light to dispel fears, so that we all can live free lives, as our Founding Fathers intended. So your son should not be afraid of dying of this virus, even if he cannot wear a mask- in fact, even if no one wore a mask at all. We should all cover coughs and sneezes (down your shirt is how I taught my children), and wash our hands if we touch our face or other dirty things. And live free, and enjoy our time together, not judging those who do or do not wear masks. Like the Bible says, To our own Master (God) we each stand or fall.
applejuice and Hyacinthe like this.
#14 of 28 Old 08-19-2020, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer View Post
How would you get them both to rest on your ears, though? Seems like they'd get in the way of each other.
The Mototeks shield (found on Amazon) does work with glasses- it has loops that go over each ear, and then a place that is supported by the chin. There is also a thin plastic covering that you can remove, or maybe keep on for a bit, then peel it off so that the surface underneath looks fresh and new again. Perhaps you could contact the Frontline Doctors to see if they know of a good physician in your area.
applejuice likes this.
#15 of 28 Old 08-19-2020, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
for children, it has pretty much only been fatal for a couple of dozen in the whole country, all of whom had other serious, comorbid conditions. This is not said to be depressing, but to shed light to dispel fears, so that we all can live free lives, as our Founding Fathers intended. So your son should not be afraid of dying of this virus, even if he cannot wear a mask- in fact, even if no one wore a mask at all. We should all cover coughs and sneezes (down your shirt is how I taught my children), and wash our hands if we touch our face or other dirty things. And live free, and enjoy our time together, not judging those who do or do not wear masks.
You're preaching to the choir. Neither my son nor I is paranoid about this virus or other germs. We're just trying to comply with the law and with the policies of service providers, so we can have access to the services we need. The fact that my son is being denied medical care because of panic about a low-mortality virus that he has no symptoms of is evidence that this country has lost its mind.
applejuice and Hyacinthe like this.

, who both 
-ed, who were both
-ed, and both 
.   Also, 
, and 
!
#16 of 28 Old 08-20-2020, 02:10 AM

Yes, it is really, really sad that folks have given in to such a fear over something like this. If it were re-labeled a 'bad cold,' or a 'serious flu,' like it really is, then perhaps people wouldn't be so traumatized by it, and would simply be able to enjoy their lives again. Maybe reason will improve. Meanwhile, each of us can bring a bit of cheer right where we are, and not let what is going on around us get us down. (I have to lean hard on God for the power to do this, and not be down-in-the-dumps depressed! )
applejuice likes this.
#17 of 28 Old 08-20-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
The ear piece on the shield doesn't curve, it just goes straight back and rests on the top of the ear. This helps it fit different sized heads, and it doesn't get in the way of the glasses' ear piece.

I have never had problems with the shield slipping (but I don't wear glasses). My dad wears the shield with his glasses. He had some trouble with slipping, then he started using a strap to hold to his glasses on. I don't know the brand, but it looks like this https://www.walmart.com/ip/New-Sungl...llow/119359348
With the strap holding his glasses, both the shield and strap stayed in place. He even wears it hiking, which is probably unnecessary, but he is worried about the virus because of his age.

If you look at the photos from reviews for the shield, some people are wearing it with glasses. You could also use a strap to hold on the shield instead of the glasses, just experiment and see what works.

Another option is the partial shield that someone else on this thread recommended. I am not sure if the school would consider it to cover enough of the nose, but you could try it.
applejuice likes this.
#18 of 28 Old 08-20-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:

In any case, though, I know that there are many medical conditions that make it unsafe for people to wear masks, so how are all these people finding doctors who will let them in the building??

Are they all just doing what my son is currently being forced to do -- going without medical care?

I don't know, but a lot of doctors are encouraging video appointments. My mom had a stroke in the spring, and she has been able to get most of her appointments online since she has been back at home. Which actually turned out to be more convenient anyway.
#19 of 28 Old 08-20-2020, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't know, but a lot of doctors are encouraging video appointments. My mom had a stroke in the spring, and she has been able to get most of her appointments online since she has been back at home. Which actually turned out to be more convenient anyway.
His doctor told me that she can neither give him the required physical for school nor diagnose his respiratory problem via video. I was told that either of those things would require an in-person appointment.
applejuice likes this.

, who both 
-ed, who were both
-ed, and both 
.   Also, 
, and 
!
#20 of 28 Old 08-21-2020, 04:06 PM

Maybe try a doctor that has their own practice. If they are part of a larger practice or organization, there are more people who might object to someone going into the building maskless.

They still might say no, so you would need to call ahead and ask.
#21 of 28 Old 08-22-2020, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Maybe try a doctor that has their own practice. If they are part of a larger practice or organization, there are more people who might object to someone going into the building maskless.

I don't even know how to begin to look.
Nazsmum likes this.

, who both 
-ed, who were both
-ed, and both 
.   Also, 
, and 
!
#22 of 28 Old 08-26-2020, 01:22 AM

Quote:
I don't even know how to begin to look.
Perhaps you could try a Naturopathic Doctor who would be willing to 'think outside the box' for you. Here, on the West Coast, it is not so hard to find folks who are a bit more flexible, though there are states that are better than the one we live in. You can begin by going online, and searching for Naturopathic Doctors in you area, or even for Family Doctors who have their own practices. You may end up spending a good deal of time on the phone, before you find that gem of a Doctor who is truly understanding... I just looked up 'Naturopathic Doctors in PA' and a list popped up that may be helpful to you... I am just a brand-new 'mothering' member, and am not yet allowed to post links, I think, but the same helpful list should pop up for you.
Nazsmum likes this.

Last edited by thurmanmom; 08-26-2020 at 01:29 AM.
#23 of 28 Old 08-30-2020, 12:57 PM

I just found out there are a lot of people on etsy selling face masks made of cheese cloth, gauze, mesh, etc. They don't make any protection claims, but they are breathable and still technically comply with the law. The light colored ones are more see-through; but when they dye them darker colors, they look like normal masks.
Nazsmum likes this.
#24 of 28 Old 08-30-2020, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Quote:
I just found out there are a lot of people on etsy selling face masks made of cheese cloth, gauze, mesh, etc. They don't make any protection claims, but they are breathable and still technically comply with the law. The light colored ones are more see-through; but when they dye them darker colors, they look like normal masks.
If my kids went to school I would go with this...
victory13 likes this.
#25 of 28 Old 08-30-2020, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Perhaps you could try a Naturopathic Doctor who would be willing to 'think outside the box' for you.
My own doctor is a naturopath, but I contacted her and she said she wouldn't be able to help with what he needs, because she isn't an M.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory13
All of the masks that I wear myself are gauze, because I have a respiratory problem similar to my son's, though mine isn't as severe as my son's. He tried the gauze, and he can't breathe properly, even through that.

, who both 
-ed, who were both
-ed, and both 
.   Also, 
, and 
!
#26 of 28 Old 09-01-2020, 01:33 AM

Well, some naturopathic Doctors are MDs, as well; I guess you'd just have to search for one nearby... Good luck!
#27 of 28 Old 11-15-2020, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

definitely worth a try
#28 of 28 Old 11-15-2020, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack46606 View Post
definitely worth a try
I think so too
Nazsmum likes this.

User Tag List