Super confused about alternative birthing options in RI (Looooong!) - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 12-10-2014, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Super confused about alternative birthing options in RI (Looooong!)

Hi there!

So I'm researching my options for my options of birthing in RI and I'm so confused! I've searched the boards, but most threads indicate to keep searching the boards. It's been a long search and I'm still pretty uncertain of how to go about organizing this.

I had my daughter 2 years ago in a regular hospital, using the only obgyn and hospital that my hmo covered. We relocated to RI and now have Aetna and will choose our own care provider! Does anyone have experience having either a home birth or birthed in a birthing center with Aenta coverage?

I've read some pretty awesome things about Mary Mumford Haley. I see on her site that she provides receipts for the mother to file for her own reimbursements. Has anyone had success with Aetna with this? I guess the same question goes for ABC at W&I.

In terms of "risking out," I actually had my daughter at 36 weeks due to a slow fluid leak, though I never entered labor naturally despite my hopes that I would. I went to the ER due to leaking one Saturday and I had her on Monday. I've always had mixed feelings about what happened. All my tests were not definitive but indicated I "very likely" had a leak and every dr. we dealt told me I was now high risk and I had no choice but to be induced. Regardless of doubts about whether I truly had leak, I think most providers would have made the same call and induced me. My Dr's have suggested that if I've had an PROM with my first, it's more likely I will with my second and perhaps earlier in gestation.

Anyway, has anyone had a late preemie (or any other preemie) and then gone on to have a natural birth in an alternative, non-hospital setting? Any thoughts on if I would risk-out straight away? I know the best option here is to talk to a midwife about my situation but since I haven't narrowed that down yet, others' experiences would be helpful!

Another big question: if I did have complications during a home birth or birth center birth and had to go to the hospital, are you usually charged for both? Or partially for one, and fully for the hospital?

Thanks so much for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 12-19-2014, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No experience with Aetna here, but I think you are right that you'll need to speak with a care provider about what your options are and probably also your insurance company about what your policy covers. I used Ob/Gyn Associates in Providence, which is a bit of a misnomer, since all pregnant women are seen by the midwives unless there is a reason to refer to the OB's. My friend is also a patient there and she had to see the OB's due to high blood pressure but also saw the midwives throughout her pregnancy. I love the midwife team there and in your situation it might be a good option since you could stay with the same practice even if you do "risk-out". I gave birth at the ABC at W&I and it was an AWESOME experience. You also have the resources of the hospital literally down the hall if needed. Just as a warning, which you will hear from others as well I'm sure, they don't let you into the ABC unless you reach 4-5 cm's on your own, so you really do have to be progressing naturally to get in there even if you have been "cleared" to use it ahead of time. Best wishes!
#3 of 4 Old 01-11-2015, 02:15 PM

We had a homebirth in Maine and Aetna reimbursed us 100% for our birth and midwifery care. It is all in how things are presented on the invoice when you apply for reimbursement- I had a friend with the same plan and was denied because her mw's invoicing was different. We live in RI now and have Blue Cross so will see how it goes this time around, we are planning another home birth and are definitely not counting on having the same luck we had with Aetna! Good luck!

#4 of 4 Old 01-12-2015, 09:23 AM

Call the homebirth midwives and ask about insurance coverage. I know they're working on it and have made some progress in the last year or so. Another option to consider is Dr. Morton and Magee at Memorial Hospital in Pawtucket. I've attended several births with them (I'm a doula) and they are WONDERFUL! They have a tub room as well if laboring in the water is something that interests you. As far as other resources, RI Homebirth Connection group on FB has good info, and Doulas of RI is also a good connection to have. DoRI is actually having a Meet the Doulas night this coming Thursday in Providence if that interests you. http://doulasri.org/events/

Best of luck to you!

Footprints Doula Services

Mama to Oliver 12.22.07 & Lucille 7.14.10

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page