A great children's dentist? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 10-18-2008, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD (age 5) has a broken tooth. I don't know when or how it happened, I noticed it yesterday after being gone for most of the last few days. Her tooth also looks "dead" - kind of yellow and Grey colored. We don't have a regular dentist, so I am looking for a recommendation for a great dentist to take her to. Maybe a holistic dentist?
I live in St. Cloud, but would be happy to drive into the twin cities to go somewhere highly recommended where she will have a good experience. She is terrified of going to the dentist right now.

Mama to three - DD : 1/03, DS 2/06, and DS 6/09.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 10-18-2008, 06:13 PM

So sorry about your lo's tooth! Poor thing!

We go to Uptown Dental right on Lake St. in Mpls. They are neither holistic nor pediatri, but it is an all female practice and I find them to be really great with my kids and supportive of our decisions re: xrays and flouride etc.

We just moved here, so I'll be watching your post for any holistic practitioners as well.

Good luck,

Married to love of my life! Children 6, 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 4 months
#3 of 8 Old 10-20-2008, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Well, on the recomendation of several people I went to a practice in Minneapolis. I don't actually know the name, but the website is www.kingtooth.com. We saw Dr. Pham and she was wonderful with Kathrine. It was actually a really good first dental experience for her. The tooth is totally dead - Dr. Pham believes it was likely knocked hard at some time in the past. It is also getting loose, so in the next two weeks I need to encourage DD to wiggle it out. If its not out by then, she recomended going back to have it pulled, because there is already some infection there. I was very pleased with the care DD recieved.

#4 of 8 Old 10-23-2008, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Peterworn,

I see you are new to the board, welcome

I have found over the years that in all forms of health care, for routine care it is best to find a practitioner who shares my health philosophy, that way I can trust the information I am getting if I am needing to make a quick decision. It is worth driving to a practice like that if necessary. In a true emergency where an hour drive is out of the question, odds are that the regular practitioner may not be available anyhow - at that point I know of nearby practices that could be called that specialize in emergency care.

We don't use fluoride, I have some real health concerns about it, so going to a dentist that who is already aware of those concerns and accepts them as valid is worth a lot to me. I am glad to have found the dentist I did, our experience there was great - and I've had to work to convince DD to wiggle her tooth more often because she wants to have to go back

#5 of 8 Old 11-01-2008, 03:46 PM

hi, i just wanted to say that we see a Dentist in Hibbing by the name of Patty Jacobsen. We've been seeing her for a few years now. I like her fairly well. I think she's wonderful with the kids and as far as her "philosophy" I am fairly certain that her 5 kids are homeschooled, for what that's worth, but I'm not 100%.
She does strenuously suggest flouride (does anyone know a dentist who does not? seriously wondering.) but she is aware of my choice to NOT do flouride & does not push it too much. One more thing, she does chair-to-chair exams with younger/smaller kids. Older kids, she wants to do the exam without mom or dad present, which I'm okay with. just my 2cents.

Dana, Wife to DH, SAHM to Mac, 14, Mikael, 10, Holland Eve, 8, Danica Lyn, 5, Noah Rebekah, 3, & baby brother Elisha Isaac, born 7/21/09
#6 of 8 Old 11-02-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boys3girls View Post
hi, i just wanted to say that we see a Dentist in Hibbing by the name of Patty Jacobsen. We've been seeing her for a few years now. I like her fairly well. I think she's wonderful with the kids and as far as her "philosophy" I am fairly certain that her 5 kids are homeschooled, for what that's worth, but I'm not 100%.
She does strenuously suggest flouride (does anyone know a dentist who does not? seriously wondering.) but she is aware of my choice to NOT do flouride & does not push it too much. One more thing, she does chair-to-chair exams with younger/smaller kids. Older kids, she wants to do the exam without mom or dad present, which I'm okay with. just my 2cents.
Tooth by the Lake in Hopkins does not do flouride routinely because of health concerns. I love it there, they even encourage all xylitol products. I haven't taken my kids there yet (3 years old) but when I have work done they insisted that I bring her and have little portable dvd players for the kids who come with parents. No babysitter needed.
#7 of 8 Old 11-08-2008, 03:54 AM

I love our dentists, but it's in St. Paul. They are great. we see either dentist at the practice, and like them both. they are really good with the kids. We like Jill for the cleanings.

http://www.okanemonssen.com/

R~mama to 3

#8 of 8 Old 11-15-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylaelise View Post
Tooth by the Lake in Hopkins does not do flouride routinely because of health concerns. I love it there, they even encourage all xylitol products. I haven't taken my kids there yet (3 years old) but when I have work done they insisted that I bring her and have little portable dvd players for the kids who come with parents. No babysitter needed.
I tried to make an appointment there two months ago for DD who is 4 and they recommended I take her elsewhere. I'm not sure how young of patient they are willing to see (but I have friends who go there and love it).

DS 6 DD 8

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page