Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (https://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   California, Nevada (https://www.mothering.com/forum/92-california-nevada/)
-   -   Pls Recommend Los Angeles County or Southern Ventura County Cities that have a NEED for Childcare Services (https://www.mothering.com/forum/92-california-nevada/1075465-pls-recommend-los-angeles-county-southern-ventura-county-cities-have-need-childcare-services.html)

MyLilPwny 04-24-2009 03:30 PM

We are looking to relocate to another city in Los Angeles County or Southern Ventura County, within the next few months, and I plan to open up my own home daycare business, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of which cities need this service. Thanks.

JudiAU 04-24-2009 07:54 PM

I can't answer your question but there is an interesting post right now on Craigslist about someone opening a small daycare with organic vegetarian food and an AP philosophy. It was on the sale/kids boards. Interest market-sementation.

Ironica 04-24-2009 10:51 PM

What I would do (because I'm a total geek) is go to census.gov, to the 2000 Census Data, Summary File 3, all tables in American FactFinder, and pull data on (1) household income and (2) % of child population. I'd probably go by 5-digit ZIP tabulation area, because it's bigger than a census tract, but small enough that you get some useful information (if you just do cities, well, Los Angeles kind of drowns everything out). Then, look at areas that have the highest percentage of the population under 5, and then pick the highest-income of those areas (that still fall within *your* affordability range). There's your childcare market.

Of course, Census 2000 is nearly 10 years out of date already... but maybe the 2007 economic census has some of that data too.

You can download things into Excel to play around with them.

rubelin 04-24-2009 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
What I would do (because I'm a total geek)
just had to LOL at that. Yes, you *are* a total geek

I'd recommend picking your favorite places to live and then narrow them down from there with some of the criteria mentioned above. I have friends who use daycare ALL over LA; there's always gonna be some sort of need for it, so you should live where you are happiest.

MyLilPwny 04-25-2009 04:12 AM

Nice, thanks, great ideas there. I'll be doing the census.gov and I've been planning on catering my daycare as a "natural-living" one with Traditional Foods (www.westonaprice.org), using non-toxic cleaners, friendly to cloth diapers, non-vaxing, etc. Hmm, not sure where I'll be happiest, but I've been looking for a city that is fluoride-free and I don't think there are any around here--closest I've seen is San Diego County and that is way too far. That's only one factor though--I want a safe area too which is probably most important and I'll just have to buy an extra good water filter (a better one than just the reverse osmosis I have now).

JudiAU 04-25-2009 07:28 PM

If you have a strong childcare philosophy I suggest trying to find areas with other people who care about those things. For instance, you might do better in Eagle Rock, Venice, West Hollywood, etc. than say, Valencia.

You might also look on the yahoo group Peachead. You can poll mommas to find people who share your philosophy and find out where they live.

I know several people interested in Weston Price in the West Hollywood area.

Ironica 04-25-2009 11:26 PM

Although West Hollywood has about the lowest child population you'll find. It's higher than it used to be, but still only half or a third of what other communities have.

MyLilPwny 04-26-2009 03:02 AM

Well, I joined Peachhead2, which says its the Los Angeles one, so I hope thats the right group and I'll give that poll a try. I'm happy to hear you mention Eagle Rock--that is actually really close to my husband's work which would be great for him, and he had mentioned to me that it is a nice somewhat affluent city that might have a need for childcare. I recently joined the Los Angeles Chapter for Weston A. Price, so I should give them a try with the poll too. Thanks!

JudiAU 04-27-2009 09:49 PM

Therese,
This is off-topic but if you are interested in Traditional Foods/Weston Price you might want to check out http://scmeat.ning.com/ , it is a new animal-share / meat CSA from the local Slow Food chapter. All of the meat is grass-fed and pastured. We've had some interest from TF folks about buying the offal apart from a larger package or with one. In fact, I joined the WP NING group today to post...