ICAN in Seattle? or other VBAC support on the Eastside - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 03-15-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!  Does anyone know anything about how good the ICAN group is in Seattle?  Their website doesn't seem to be up to date and I found an older thread saying how great their Yahoo group was.  Well, I tried to join the group but the moderator denied me.  It feels so weird to be denied access to a support group for VBACs when you are trying to find resources to help with having one, though maybe you don't get access if you can't attend a meeting?  It would take me well over an hour to get to a meeting and with a toddler I just can't do that. 

So...  I'm 2 months pregnant with my second and really wanting to have a VBAC.  I am meeting with a doctor on Tuesday who is supposed to be really great and I know he encouraged a friend of a friend to have a VBAC versus repeat c-section and he supported the woman the whole way.  I'll find out more on that front next week, but I'm looking to see if anyone knows if there are any other support resources for VBACs around here or if I'm pretty much on my own (I plan on getting a doula and obviously she'll be supportive).

Thanks!

Thrilled to be expecting Baby #2 after 15 months TTC (a 30% drop in TTC time than Baby #1!)

"Everything that is done in the world is done by hope." Martin Luther

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-15-2012, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

The chapter is active and thriving! I'm surprised the moderator denied you. Maybe a mistake? I can send her an email and let her know 

dd (9) ds (7), ds (4) & ds (1)
#3 of 7 Old 03-22-2012, 12:30 PM

Are you looking for a doula or do you already have one?  I am a low cost doula and would love to talk to you if you are still looking for one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenBuckyfan View Post

Hello!  Does anyone know anything about how good the ICAN group is in Seattle?  Their website doesn't seem to be up to date and I found an older thread saying how great their Yahoo group was.  Well, I tried to join the group but the moderator denied me.  It feels so weird to be denied access to a support group for VBACs when you are trying to find resources to help with having one, though maybe you don't get access if you can't attend a meeting?  It would take me well over an hour to get to a meeting and with a toddler I just can't do that. 

So...  I'm 2 months pregnant with my second and really wanting to have a VBAC.  I am meeting with a doctor on Tuesday who is supposed to be really great and I know he encouraged a friend of a friend to have a VBAC versus repeat c-section and he supported the woman the whole way.  I'll find out more on that front next week, but I'm looking to see if anyone knows if there are any other support resources for VBACs around here or if I'm pretty much on my own (I plan on getting a doula and obviously she'll be supportive).

Thanks!

#4 of 7 Old 03-29-2012, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Hi want2becrunchy - I do have a paricular doula in mind.  I'll definitely keep you in mind though - thanks!

Thrilled to be expecting Baby #2 after 15 months TTC (a 30% drop in TTC time than Baby #1!)

#5 of 7 Old 03-29-2012, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Hi LiLStar - I'm not sure if it was a mistake or not.  My husband thought maybe my request was automatically denied because it was in the system for so many days and then it was kicked out.  I was able to find some other online resources, including the national ICAN site, that gave me some info for my initial appt with a new OB and at this point I'm going on the support from my friends (all had/having scheduled repeat c-sections....).  So needless to say I feel a bit alone, but so it goes sometimes!  I may try to put in a request again, it's just a bit discouraging to have to re-apply for a support group (maybe just a current hormonal feeling - I hope!).  I'm also contacting Penny Simkin as I've had great experiences with her during a birth class while prepping for my first child and a couple of good discussions with her about my birth experience.  I'm guessing her office can also point me in the direction of some addt'l resources available.

Thanks! 

#6 of 7 Old 03-29-2012, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

I don't think it was just you. Someone else just got approved with a note from the mod apologizing for not approving her sooner. Maybe she got behind somehow. Approvals are ordinarily very prompt. If you come to a meeting, you'll get some in-person recommendations for vbac friendly providers. The next one is a week from this coming Monday. I promise we're a very welcoming group and I'm sure it was a mistake that you were denied! I hope you'll consider reapplying. 

dd (9) ds (7), ds (4) & ds (1)
#7 of 7 Old 03-29-2012, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks LiLStar!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page