So look: I went back to work at 12 weeks to my job that has me on an airplane at least twice a month. I needed a pump that would work, reliably, in odd situations. I also needed one that could stand up to my personal butterfingers issues-- I drop everything. Ameda to the rescue.
5 reasons I love this pump:
1) You can buy it without the bag and optional accessories. In other words, for under $200 you get an awesome pump, because who wants the ugly black bag anyway?
2) You can replace parts when they break. I dropped the AC/DC charger in an airport and freaked, only to find like 4 places online that would sell me just that part.
3) You can carry it in any bag you'd like!! I shoved it in my work shoulder bag. Some brands have pumps "built in" to the side of the bag so you have no choice. This one you can drop into any bag.
4) IT TAKES BATTERIES! I didn't even realize it for the first several months, but you can put batteries in the pump as-is without having to buy a battery pack attachment. So handy. I don't get why they don't talk this up.
5) Closed system means less worry about clean-up and contamination.
Now don't get me wrong- everyone seems to stick to the Medela. Good for them, Medela has great marketing people and has positioned itself in more "mainstream" stores than Ameda has. But its pumps are sewn into their bags so you have no choice how to carry them. The systems are open so milk can get into the pump itself. And they're priiiicey.