Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm asking for my customer.

She asked me what to do. My son wasn't a hitter so I told her honestly I didn't know!

I thought maybe you could give me some pointers

He's 1 1/2 and he hits her when he's mad.
She said that she doesn't spank him so she knows that's not the issue.

She wanted to know what to do or say to help him learn.

Thanks

· Registered
1,511 Posts
fake cry (i mean really ham it up throw that tantrum you've been wanting to) this usually gets the childs attention that they hurt your feelings, i used to have a 1 1/2 year old hitter (she hit when she was tired/bored) i just "cried" and she had a look of shock then said she was sorry, she's never hit me again...

· Registered
231 Posts
Hi! We've been through this with my son off & on. I've found that it is always when he is tired or overwhelmed, so the best thing is to ensure that he is getting his rest and not overstimulated.
How we handle anytime he hits (dog, cat, mama, papa) is to say "don't hit, that hurts mama (or whomever)" and then model how to touch gently. We will say "gentle" or "nice" as he pats or strokes with his hand. I will hold his hand and help him be gentle.
This has worked well for us, and now that he is older I can say gentle or nice and he automatically touches nicely.
The other thing I've done if he insists on hitting is to either remove the pet in question or myself. I will go into the kitchen for example (baby gate) to remove myself from his range. He, of course, follows and may at times get upset and I ask if he will be nice to mama and he says yes. Then we hug and kiss and all is forgiven.
It is important to not get mad (or show it LOL) when you do this. It isn't a punishment as much as it is removing yourself from harm. Does that make sense? It seems to work very well for us so far.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.