Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Bolding in following quote is mine.

Quote:
Children must be immunized against whooping cough before starting school
And sometimes we wonder why people aren't aware they don't HAVE to vaccinate their kids...

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I love how they say that the disease is realtively uncommon. Not in my experience it's not.

This reminds me of how the doctors reacted when I brought my baby dd in with the chicken pox. They acted like we were infected with the plague and practically shoved us out the door.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Children must be immunized against whooping cough before starting school, and the disease is relatively uncommon.

There were nine cases reported in New Jersey in 2002, 59 in 2003, 38 in 2004 and 26 in 2005, according to state officials.

Relatively uncommon?

I guess the "state officials" didn't see the recent CDC press release which states pertussis is severely underreported b/c it's misdiagnosed and that there are at least 600,000 people who contract pertussis annually in the United States.

The CDC also states the vaccine begins to wear off after just 5 years, if that.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Wait, if everyone was immunized and if vaccines work then
: I follow not their logic.

I hope the paying students got their money back.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eloquence
Wait, if everyone was immunized and if vaccines work then
: I follow not their logic.

Exactly. What was the point of vaccinating?

I wonder what they would have done if this were the regular school year - shut down the school for three months?

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am thinking this MAY have been a cop out for the state to save $$-being they mentioned our very well known budget issues. It is a costly program.

Quote:
This reminds me of how the doctors reacted when I brought my baby dd in with the chicken pox. They acted like we were infected with the plague and practically shoved us out the door.
A friend had a similar experience. Her kids were ushered in a back door! (and had no CP after all). Now my sons Doc said to me (when I casually stated he had been exposed) "no big deal, don't even bother bringing him in.
Just rest, etc." and (at least in NJ) a parents note stating the child had CP equals CP vax when asked for a vax record.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I think someone at the state level wanted to use this opportunity to media blitz and garnish support for a DTP booster for teens. They'll use this as an example for why the booster is needed.

Honestly when I read the article my first response was
:
:
:

Hey from a public health perspective, it would have been better to keep them in the program instead of letting them go home and walk around shopping, coughing, going to movies, coughing . . .

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherHeather
I think someone at the state level wanted to use this opportunity to media blitz and garnish support for a DTP booster for teens. They'll use this as an example for why the booster is needed.
Ya know that 600,000 annual pertussis figure from the press release I mentioned in my previous post?

Well that 600,000 estimate was first revealed last year in the very press release introducing the two newly licensed Tdap vaccines for adolescents and adults.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Smells like a conspiracy to me. They wanted to shut down this gifted program and found a way to do it. So they're sending the students home to their doctors? Couldn't they have just tested the students, insteading of sending 99 home? Did they test the sole case or just guess that he has Pertussis?

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hey Mama!
I love how they say that the disease is realtively uncommon. Not in my experience it's not.

They freaked out when they thought Marah Jade had whooping cough. The doctor put on a mask and gave them to his nurses to wear while in the room with her. DH was cracking up because I left the room for an x-ray and no one else was given masks and they let us leave without putting anyone in the lobby in masks. It was really dorky.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Pertussis control measures from the New Jersey Department of Health:

The single most effective control measure is immunizing as many individuals as possible against pertussis. Treatment of cases with certain antibiotics can shorten the contagious period. People who have or may have pertussis should stay away from children and infants until properly treated. Giving antibiotics to people who are close contacts of pertussis cases is also an important part of prevention.

Institutional outbreak setting (e.g., schools, day care centers, health care settings):

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
LI, I was thinking the same...

When we're pushing a new vax it's everywhere and you will be exposed and die!!!

When we want to make the vax look effective, it's uncommon - don't worry.

And a big adolescent mall-girl lip smack too!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LongIsland
Children must be immunized against whooping cough before starting school, and the disease is relatively uncommon.

There were nine cases reported in New Jersey in 2002, 59 in 2003, 38 in 2004 and 26 in 2005, according to state officials.

Relatively uncommon?

I guess the "state officials" didn't see the recent CDC press release which states pertussis is severely underreported b/c it's misdiagnosed and that there are at least 600,000 people who contract pertussis annually in the United States.

The CDC also states the vaccine begins to wear off after just 5 years, if that.

Wow.. Whooping Cough was the one that miranda's old PED FREAKED OUT ABOUT the most. I mean he was screaming and telling me miranda was going to be dead before she was a year old, but it was whopping cough and HIB that was going to do her in. lol He said he was seeing them all the time in his practice.. It made me wanna make sure i didn't touch too much on my way out. lol

Now she's coming up on her 2nd birthday.. she's managed somehow to make it another year without catching anything.. it must be a miracle!

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
But what fiscal problems could not derail, the whooping cough did for 100 students enrolled in the international affairs part of the program, one of six courses offered.

Students were told to contact their doctors at home.

Okay, so not all the students in the program were sent home, but it seems they're not following their own control measure guidelines.

From the NJ Dept. of Health:

Clinical case definition for use in non-outbreak settings: A cough illness lasting > 14 days with one of the following: paroxysms of coughing, inspiratory "whoop," or post-tussive vomiting, and without other apparent cause (as reported by a health professional).

Clinical case definition for use in outbreak settings: A cough illness lasting ≥ 14 days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts