Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want nice colors of 1 mil PUL, but I can't seem to find much 1 mil PUL in any color except white, and more importantly, I can get the white for about $2/yd less than the colors. I don't want to paint it or draw on it, I just want to dye it solid colors. Can I do this? Will it work? What kind of dye? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
994 Posts
No,it won't work. It's not possible to dye polyester at home. Painting it is just about your only option. But at the top of this forum is a resource list, I know a lot of sites sell 1 mil colors!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I did dye some green earth wraps one time .. but the color came out VERY pale and got lighter over time. With the money you'd spend on dyes, you might as well just buy some colored PUL.

Funny how it won't take dye well, but it sure as heck will get stained by spaghetti, poop, washable markers (yeah.. go figure) and easter egg dye (not a solid color.. just bloches here and there that not even bleach would take out) don't you think? I guess if you ever wanted a mottled orange/brown/red color, you could do a spaghetti dip dy process

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tippytoes26
I guess if you ever wanted a mottled orange/brown/red color, you could do a spaghetti dip dy process

Hmmm...can we come up with a strong marketing plan for this new line of dyes.

But yeah...just to reitterate what has been said, disperse dyes(what is used for polyester) are not fo rthe novice dyer and really only for those who have a good and safe set-up.

However, you might try using pigment paints(i.e. acrylics) watered down and applied using a squirt bottle. Let it dry(which it will do quickly) then heat set with a low iron with something between the iron and the PUL(newsprint, scrap fabric...) You could also just straight up paint designs or stamp, following the same heat set methods above.

Here's a little blurb on using pigment dyes (paints) to dye with. I have used Liquidex before(med. viscosity) which I bought at Michaels. Other quality textile paints include Dy Na Flo, Setacolor, and Jacquards textile paints

Give it a whirl, couldn't hurt to try

Good Luck!
Kathy

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I already have some white pul that's pretty darn boring, and I"ve never tried painting a diaper before, but what the heck, could become my latest obsession! :LOL

I just thought, surely there must be a way to dye polyester. Oh, well. Never hurts to ask.

And yes, the spaghetti (or strawberry, blueberry, etc etc) splatter painted diaper covers could become all the rage. The next diaper hyena craze! :LOL Well, okay, maybe not...

-lizabird

1 - 6 of 6 Posts