Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this may sounds like a silly question, but I'm trying to understand the 1" rule for outgrowing rear facing car seats. I think the rule is that a seat is outgrown (rear facing) when the top of the head is one inch below the top of the shell...so my first question is what exactly is the shell? is it the hard part of the seat, as if it was stripped off its fabric cover?

And second, how do you measure this? considering the top of the seat is not completely vertical, but rather slightly slanted backwards, I'm assuming that you just measure to what the vertical height would be (if you know what I mean). If the shell is what I described above, do you actually take the fabric of to have an accurate measurement?

I feel kind of silly asking this question, but I'm really not sure how to accurately measure...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Unless the seat cover is extremely padded, you should be able to tell where the top of the shell is. I just looked from the edge of the shell to the highest part of the child's head.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yes, I was taught to measure from the edge of the hard plastic shell/frame -- usually this is easily done just by compressing the fabric cover with a finger, but they can usually also be flipped off if necessary.... If you're really close to 1" it'd be best to just transfer into the next stage carseat (RF convertible from infant only seat) rather than constantly measuring until precisely 1"

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Papooses View Post
Yes, I was taught to measure from the edge of the hard plastic shell/frame -- usually this is easily done just by compressing the fabric cover with a finger, but they can usually also be flipped off if necessary.... If you're really close to 1" it'd be best to just transfer into the next stage carseat (RF convertible from infant only seat) rather than constantly measuring until precisely 1"

Thanks for your answer, Papooses. I'm actually asking for two reasons. First, my sister thinks she needs to upgrade her dd's carseat from infant-only to convertible, but she was doing so based on height alone, and I read here that the 1" rule. She lives in Mexico, where carseats are at least twice as expensive and there aren't many choices. So, I thought I could bring an extra one I have when I go visit next December. Provided baby fits according to the 1" rule. Does this make sense?

The other reason is because my dd (almost 30 months) is currently front- facing in an evenflo triumph. The posts here have made me wonder whether she should be riding rear facing instead, but I'm not quite sure if she has 1" between the top of her head and the top of the carseat's shell. I'm thinking if I'm to measure with the slant included (i.e., if I were to take a measuring tape and place it on top of the seat in the space between dd's head and the top of the shell) there might be more than 1" left. However, if I were to draw an imaginary line at the top of the shell and place that line right on top of dd's head (therefore, correcting for the slant), then it may be close to or under 1". So, I guess I still don't know how to measure it!!

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks again for your answer!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Papooses (or any one else who knows) could you guide me a bit with my last question? (especially regarding my currently front-facing daughter)

Thanks in advance!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.