Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dr. sent me a form to have Liam's 1 year bloodwork done next month. I am thinking about not doing it. He's just fine and very healthy. Anyone skip this? Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
i've never heard of this. what do they want to test for?<br><br>
dd just had her 18 month check a few weeks ago and i requested a test for anemia, but only because we're vegetarian and i noticed that she had a bruise on her leg that i thought was lingering longer than it should. the test came back fine, it was just a finger prick and they had the results instantly.<br><br>
i am seriously confused as to what they would draw blood for.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
If you live in an older house, I would absolutely get the lead test done. Lead is just not something to fool around with, and your child can have a high lead level even if you don't see peeling paint, etc.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Here they do a lead test with blood work at 12-18 months along with the test for low iron. I did have dd tested but only because I didnt think I had a choice but ds hasnt been tested since we dont have any risk factors for lead. Our house is only 8 yrs old and we built it so we know what was used.

·
Registered
308 Posts
We did the test for anemia at 1 year too. Dd was slightly anemic and we have now gotten her levels back up.<br>
I agree about the lead issue too.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I avoided the blood tests with ds1 at one year. I really regret that decision. As a result his anemia was not found until it was at a dangerously low level.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Neither of my boys had the 1 year blood draw.. Or any blood draw at the docs.. But my youngest is CONSTANTLY poked for other stuff and tested then... He has issues and needs it.. but my "well" baby doesnt so there was no need for it..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts