Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 year old favoring right arm/shoulder

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,
Not sure whether to put this here or in the health forum, maybe I'll cross post. Anyway, yesterday we noticed my almost 1 year old walking funny with his right arm/shoulder. Almost like he is lifting up the shoulder and not using that arm much. He seems to have no pain, just doesn't want to use it.

I took him to the chiro today who did appear a bit concerned (which concerned me because usually he is pretty laid back about most everything). He did some work on my son who really liked it, tried to go back into the room for more! But no improvement, still holding shoulder like that.

I can't feel anything abnormal, except maybe some tightness, but he looks almost like pictures of kids with torticollis except his head isn't pointing to side.

Anyway, anyone else have experience with this? I really hate to ignore it and find out something is wrong, but since he isn't really having pain, the thought of x-rays, etc. doesn't interest me either.

Ok, here's the update: we took him back to chiro, to ped, then got x-rays. At this point x-rays all seem normal so the consensus seems to be torticollis. We will be referred to pediatric rehab/physical therapy and the xrays are being reviewed by a ped. orthopedic doc.

So, now off I go to search more about torticollis. The only experience I have with that is newborns that are born with it and treated very young.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Heyla mama!

The only thing I can think of is this: http://www.drgreene.com/21_1079.html

I forget where I was reading, but just a day or two ago I saw something from a pediatrician talking about how elbow dislocation was really common in little kids because they often fall down while holding someone's hand (pulling the elbow a little out of alignment). And they don't always show discomfort with the arm afterwards.

Your chiro would probably have noticed if this was the cause of the problem, and maybe some of the things your chiro did that your little one liked were similar to the treatment options mentioned in the article, but it might be worth cheking into if your little one keeps favoring that arm?

Hope someone has a better idea for you!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so the doc doesn't think it's nursemaids elbow. It does appear better today but without a full set of xrays, not really sure. Since he is using it again a bit, we decided to wait until Monday and then see the chiro again and decide if we want xrays.

He is still walking funny, looks like he has back curvature or something and he still keeps that arm bent, but seems to have to no pain.

This is a first for me, I'll have to just keep watching him I guess...

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
my friend's daughter was doing this - she asked me to come take a look. Her daughter showed really no overt signs of pain other then the "favoring", too. Turned out her arm was broken. I'm not a fan of xrays (at all) but really, if it keeps up I would get a film done. They heal so quickly once casted, and the longer you wait the harder it is to cast properly and they heal better. good luck!

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
In case its an injury it might be worth giving some homeopathic Arnica. DD has sprained her wrist twice now and could not use it at all, I was really worried but gave her Arnica and then homeopathic Rhus Tox and she was fine (of course both times it was the weekend but the ND checked her out the first time and she was all better by Monday. I am a homeopathic vet but always take her in if I am concerned to be safe). Anyhow it would not hurt while you are deciding about the x-rays.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I also gave her homeopathic Ruta since I knew it was a sprain - it was amazing as she would not use it at all and after the remedies she started to use it really soon. The second time I was out of town at my step-daughter's wedding and did not have the remedies, and as soon as I got home I gave some Arnica then the following day Ruta and she was back to normal that morning.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the advice/help. I will be seeing the doc tomorrow an getting x-rays. Seems like this could be a bigger problem, congenital once we went back and looked at photos/videos.

Thanks for the info about homeopathy. I had given him arnica but hadn't thought of rhus tox. I did give him some, but he doesn't seem to have too much pain.

Thanks again, I'll keep you updated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.