Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>DS just turned 1.  He has been on solids since about 8 months old... usually multigrain cereal and pureed fruit for breakfast and pureed veggies and grains for lunch and dinner... occasionally a jar of food.  But he can only handle pureed foods.  Like... runny.  I tried putting stuff through the baby food grinder and adding some water to it to thin it a little, making it a tiny bit thicker every week or so, but if it has any chunkiness at all, he gags and vomits  I gave him a very small bite- less than 1/4 tsp- of loose mashed potatoes (unseasoned) last night and he immediately gagged and vomited.   Does he just have a really strong gag reflex?  Is there anything I can do to get him on more chunky foods?  He also won't pick up foods and put them in his mouth.  They just wind up on the floor.  I am hoping I am not pureeing his foods when he is 12...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks for any advice!</p>

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
<p>DS will be one next week :joy - like your DS, he gets oatmeal with pureed fruit for breakfast, but the other meals generally he gets table food. It is perfectly ok that some of the food ends up on the floor. Does he have any teeth? When DS first started solids and we introduced new textures he would gag, I think it is part reflex and part he just didn't like new textures. Usually with any new food I hold it near his mouth so he can taste it, and then offer it to him to hold, that way he gets the idea that what I am offering him belongs in his mouth.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Have you tried anything other than purees that are also smooth texture, like yogurt or ice cream? or hand held foods that disolve easily like rice rusks or yogurt melts? (they are made by gerber and some other companies)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>GL!</p>

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
<p>Have you tried totally un-pureed foods, like whole banana or steamed broccoli? We did BLW/BLS with DD and it worked well. I also wouldn't worry about the gagging. Your DS has to learn how to control the food inhis mouth and gagging is the natural reflext to prevent him choking (it's a good thing to gag). As he gets better at negotiating food in his mouth this will decrease. Also purees and especially thick purees are actually harder to manage in the mouth so you would expect more gagging. Just think about how hard it is for an adult to eat a spoon of peanut butter.</p>

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<p>Thanks so much!  I will try both suggestions. </p>

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
<p>My first ds liked pureed foods, sometimes slightly thick. Then I tried giving him chunky stuff run through the food mill. He hated it and would never eat even oatmeal until he was about 2. But he did start picking up food and eating whole pieces of things. So I would continue to offer the purees sometimes and then other time just stick with food from the table. I wouldn't worry about too much ending up on the floor and just let him explore the different textures.</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts