Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I should post here or in toddlers.<br><br>
dd is 14 months old and she's always loved my breasts. We formula feed, so I always just assumed she like them because she thought she was supposed to have done something with them (breast feed). She gets all excited when I have no shirt on and wants to touch. I really have no issue with this.<br><br>
However, lately she gets excited about dh's penis and wants to touch it. dh is very uncomfortable with this.<br><br>
Is this a problem? Should we be doing something about it? What should I be telling dd when she is so young?

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
I think this is pretty normal for kids! Our dd did the same thing with dh. We were both just matter of fact about it. We told her that was daddy's penis. (We have always given correct names to body parts.) Dh is uncomfortable about dd's interest in his "parts" but I have told him that if we make it a matter of fact thing, she'll likely not make a big deal out of it. He hasn't let her touch him on purpose and he does not spend much nude time around her but he does not make covering up a big deal either. I think kids pick up on the adult's vibe about nudity. If you are casual and relaxed, they will be too.<br><br>
When ever talk turns to genitals, I just go with it. We have 2 male dogs and one female dog. When dd was a bit younger she liked to inventory their parts. One day the conversation went like this:<br>
dd: Duffy have penis?<br>
Me: Yes<br>
Dd: Buster have penis?<br>
Me: Yes<br>
Dd: Annie have penis?<br>
and before I could say anything, dd said "No, Annie no penis" I cracked up laughing!<br><br>
If she says "does Daddy have a penis?" I say "yes, and he has a belly button and an arm and a leg and a nose....." I just make it another part along with all the rest of them.

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
I'm moving this to Toddlers. You will get more input there I believe and it's more suited there.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
In terms of her wanting to touch, etc I personally just would say 'Daddy is not comfortable with that' or 'Daddy doesn't want you to touch', etc. I would just use it to teach the idea of personal space. It's not going to be something a 1 year old will understand, but I see no problem with your DH asserting his personal space and preference, eventually she'll get the concept. I realize we talk a lot around here about kids and sexuality and not wanting kids to feel ashamed of these things, etc. but that doesn't mean it isn't appropriate to teach them that certain parts are not okay to be grabbing and touching, particularly if its not okay with the person being touched.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts