Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been doing part time EC since his birth, with cloth diapers and regular potty opportunities. We had a reasonable amount of success, and were especially successful for about a month in December. We caught pretty much everything and I thought we had got the hang of it. Every morning, like clockwork at 6am, I pottied him and he did both like it was a normal routine. Same throughout the day. Then, at the end of the month, my parents flew back home after a 3 week visit and things went horribly wrong. I still try to potty him regularly but he arches his back, howls, cries, and refuses to do it over the toilet. A minute or two later, he'll do it in his diaper or on the floor or, like today, on me. I feel like a failure. I don't want to create negative associations so I don't force it but I do keep trying throughout the day based on what I think are cues, even though it doesn't work. Help!

·
Registered
771 Posts
It's a normal part of the process. He may be going through a developmental phase that is preventing him from wanting to spend his focus and attention on that, or it may just be that he is making a little "mini-statement" (they can even at this age!). What you are doing, gently and consistently without forcing it or making it negative, is just fine. He will return to it. In the meantime, try to focus on the benefits of the communication part of EC as opposed to catching everything and him being peachy with it. Continue talking to him about it, speaking about being wet and dry, about going potty, etc. Gently. Don't stop completely. His resistance is probably totally unrelated to ECing, but you could lose the relationship if you just give up. :)

I noticed a major transition happened for him - the visit ended of what was likely a great time with lots of love and attention from grandparents. That is enough to throw off a child. Especially if he doesn't understand why they left, in his little kid brain. Did one of them do a lot of the ECing with him? Would it help to try ECing him while talking to them on Skype? Just for a while to transition him back to feeling secure again.

Also, little tricks might help if you haven't tried them yet: potties in different parts of the house - makes it fun. A new potty (something interesting to use, or a novelty). Maybe a "big child" toilet seat instead of the potty for a bit (my child liked this change and make it a part of independence development, deciding which one to use each time). Try going outside, under a tree or a bush (if you have the weather to do it!). Trying singing a favourite song or a new song just for ECing that he loves. Try telling a story or bringing a special item to potty time (just one, not a whole whack so it becomes play time).

Good luck! I think you'll look back later and say, boy, if I'd only known how short that phase would last!

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
It's a normal part of the process. He may be going through a developmental phase that is preventing him from wanting to spend his focus and attention on that, or it may just be that he is making a little "mini-statement" (they can even at this age!). What you are doing, gently and consistently without forcing it or making it negative, is just fine. He will return to it. In the meantime, try to focus on the benefits of the communication part of EC as opposed to catching everything and him being peachy with it. Continue talking to him about it, speaking about being wet and dry, about going potty, etc. Gently. Don't stop completely. His resistance is probably totally unrelated to ECing, but you could lose the relationship if you just give up. :)

I noticed a major transition happened for him - the visit ended of what was likely a great time with lots of love and attention from grandparents. That is enough to throw off a child. Especially if he doesn't understand why they left, in his little kid brain. Did one of them do a lot of the ECing with him? Would it help to try ECing him while talking to them on Skype? Just for a while to transition him back to feeling secure again.

Also, little tricks might help if you haven't tried them yet: potties in different parts of the house - makes it fun. A new potty (something interesting to use, or a novelty). Maybe a "big child" toilet seat instead of the potty for a bit (my child liked this change and make it a part of independence development, deciding which one to use each time). Try going outside, under a tree or a bush (if you have the weather to do it!). Trying singing a favourite song or a new song just for ECing that he loves. Try telling a story or bringing a special item to potty time (just one, not a whole whack so it becomes play time).

Good luck! I think you'll look back later and say, boy, if I'd only known how short that phase would last!

:yeah to all that up there :thumb

1 - 3 of 3 Posts