Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd is 10 months old and has been waking up as soon as I lay her down at night. A friend told me that at this age they should be able to put themselves back to sleep without being rocked or otherwise comforted. I would love to know what you all think about that.

· Registered
45,796 Posts
What I did with babies at that age is lie down next to the baby (in my bed) after putting him or her down. Even if the baby woke up, I'd just snuggle back to sleep.

I did use the crib occasionally for my son- what I'd do is rock him to sleep in my arms and then gently lay him down when he was sleeping SOUNDLY- there's an art to figuring out the exact right time to place him down- too soon and he'll wake up, wait too long and he'll also wake up. I often would gently pat him after placing him down so he'd fall back to sleep in the crib but with me touching him, then I'd very,very slowly move my hand away after he fell back to sleep.

Sure, a baby that age COULD get themselves to sleep if you wanted to let your baby CIO- but I don't beleive its good for the baby in the long term. Forget the "shoulds"- people are all different- babies have different temperments, parents have different personalities and parenting styles- plenty of babies today DO get themselves to sleep alone but that doesn't mean that it's "right" or that there's anything wrong with your baby for still needing you. My 3yo still needs me to snuggle to sleep and I enjoy that time with him (most of the time,lol, there are nights when I'm overwhelmed and touched out!!)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.