Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two weeks ago, my baby suddenly refused to nurse. She was getting in her two top front teeth and was having a terrible time with them. They have now broken through, but she still won't go anywhere near my nipples and screams at them every time I offer (I offer at least once or twice a day). Anyway, I have been pumping 4-5X a day and bottle-feeding breastmilk to her. She also has 2 solid food meals a day.

It breaks my heart that she is still refusing to nurse. We went through a brief nursing strike when she got her lower teeth in several months back, but she wasn't eating any solid food yet and didn't like bottles at the time, so she was a little more desperate to go back to breastfeeding, I guess.

I wanted to breastfeed her until she was about 2.5 years old, so I'm pretty disappointed at this turn of events. Not to mention, I hate how time-consuming, inconvenient, and painful pumping is. And I'm worried my milk supply will drop. I'm getting about 17 ounces a day, if that, which is just barely enough to keep her happy. I've resorted to giving her an occasional bottle of formula (not more than one a day, and only if necessary), which I hate doing.

I have tried using a nipple shield and she'll turn toward it, but when she realizes it's not a bottle, she just fusses and squirms away.

I can't afford a lactation consultant. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and was able to convince your older baby to go back to nursing? I would appreciate any tips you may have. I've even thought about getting a Lact-Aid supplemental nursing system, but it would be a big expense for me, and it's a lot of money to spend on something that I'm not sure would even work for my situation.

Any advice?

·
Registered
722 Posts
I had a baby go on a two week long nursing strike at around 15 months. He was sick and teething at the time.

It was two miserable weeks of pumping, and I nearly lost hope, but I was able to get him back in the end, and he went on to nurse until just past 3.

I don't remember how we got through it, but I remember offering at all the usual times, but not pushing.

You might want to hit the LLL archives--i'm pretty sure that's where I went looking for advice.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts