Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I do not really care if my babe STTN.  I just want her to sleep longer than an hour at a time.  She has always woken about 4-5 times a night (we've coslept since the beginning) and i nurse her and she goes back to sleep. This last week, she has been doing something differently.  She will go down about 7:30 (sometimes earlier, sometimes later).  Then she sleeps for a couple hours at which point I usually come to bed. From that point on, she will wake every hour (sometimes more).  She used to just wake up and whimper a little or move around till she found my breast. Now she wakes up crying, she will suckle a little (maybe 5 drinks) and then rolls over and goes back to sleep. But she also insists on changing sides everytime which is more disruptive (crying until I've flipped over).  I've tried different jammies, different diapers, changing the room temperature, feeding her more solids at dinnertime.  She doesn't seem to be hurting anywhere because she's not overly crabby during the day (she's always been a somewhat fussy, very active baby). Is she just getting tired of sleeping beside me? Am I keeping her awake? Oh and as for naps - she takes two naps a day (sometimes) ranging from 1-2 hours.  If she sleeps longer than an hour, she will wake at least one time during her nap to be nursed back to sleep.  Any advice? Is this just a phase? By the way, she started walking over a month ago so I don't think this is a "new skills" type of thing.</p>

·
Registered
280 Posts
I had to transition DD to her crib around 10-11 months because we were having a similar problem. It could be a teething issue, or it could just be that she is a light sleeper and you are waking her up when you move around...It has taken awhile, and we are having some setbacks, but DD is sleeping longer now that she is in her crib. I still take her in the bed with me when she wakes up around 5 a.m. She is 14 months now, and she is not STTN yet, but sometimes she gets in a good 5-6 hour stretch, which is awesome! I definitely could have written this post, except that DD has never taken two naps, although she does do the wake to nurse and go back to sleep thing for her one nap...she did it today, actually. As far as the "new skills" thing, it could still be that- a month is not that long to be walking, and now she is learning how to run, climb, etc..I have also found that wearing DD out really helps her sleeping, I know, it seems obvious, lol. But I take her to the park and run her around every day, or just get her outside in the fresh air, and it really does help her sleep. I have also found that the old saw "sleep begets sleep" is actually true, when I can get her to take a good nap during the day, she sleeps better at night.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
<p>I don't know but my ds started this around 9 months regardless that we had just increased our bed space by adding a twin to our queen. I thought we had been possibly waking him. He used to sleep 5-6 hours and nurse and then wake around 6 am to nurse, then sleeping for another hour.</p>
<p>I thought he had hit that 9 month sleep regression I kept hearing about. But now approaching a year he hasn't cycled past it. He is now waking 2-3 times a night and waking at 6am, but then still going back to sleep for an hour after that. Sometimes he won't nurse but will take his binky. But I still wake up to find him moaning and crawling around the bed. It has been a few months of constant changes, army crawl changed to crawling, working on walking now.  I've been chalking it up to all these milestones but not really sure if that is what is going on.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My ds is down to one nap a day 1-1.5 hours usually.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My first was such a horrible sleeper that even though this is frustrating, he's got nothing on his older brother at this stage. Ds 1 didn't STTN until 20 months and that was after some desperately needed nightweaning for me.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Hang in there mama!</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts