Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I would say that my daughter has been in a sleep regression for at least two months now.  There are so many problems and I don't know where to begin or how to fix them.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The only part of the day that has any semblance of predictability or calm is bedtime.  I started putting her down earlier as I saw suggested here.  It "helped" inasmuch as she is getting more sleep at night but she's steadily been waking up earlier.  She's been going down for bed at about 6, wakes up a few times before we join her, usually between 8 and 8:30.  The first part of the night is mostly ok, she latches herself on when she wants to but now she's started screaming randomly in the night and is hard to soothe.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Starting around 2 or 3 she starts waking up loudly and trying to calm her wakes me up enough that I have trouble getting back to sleep.  This also wakes my husband, who gets up at 3:15 for work, so he loses that last bit of precious sleep.  By 5 she is done sleeping and I can't get up at that time.  I usually end up turning on the tv to keep her quiet so I can sleep another hour.  That doesn't even work anymore because she seems obsessed with my boobs.  When she's nursing she pinches and scratches and twiddles my other nipple, and even when she's not eating she seems to need to grab me constantly.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So now we're up in what is essentially the middle of the night.  She alternates between whining/clinging and play until about 8, when she'll tolerate going down for a nap.  She'll go down easy enough, but the nap length is hit or miss.  This is the nap where she is more likely to go 90 minutes but it's not a guarantee unless I stay in there with her.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>No matter when she wakes up she is tired again about three hours later.  This is the nap from hell.  Even though she falls asleep fairly easily she will NOT sleep more than 40 minutes.  Sometimes it's even less.  I've tried everything in the No-Cry Nap Solution and nothing has helped.  Even if I lay in there with her, waiting for that 40 minute mark to nurse/soothe it makes no difference.  She'll wake up and be ready to play. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>And then of course, she's exhausted by 6 and I have to put her down, and then the whole thing starts again.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And then there's the fact that I'm embarrassed to admit to anyone, which is that the only way I get her to fall asleep is with tv.  It started out being something that calmed her down and it's now developed into a daily habit.  I'm ashamed and want to stop it but the last thing I want to do during this sleep regression is try to wean her off the only way I have to get her to fall asleep.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I know she's sleep deprived and reading books and articles about it makes me terrified she's going to end up with attention problems or obesity or whatever other things they attribute to sleep deprivation.  I'm exhausted and I'm not a good mother when I'm exhausted.  I have no patience and I can't stand the whining, and I resort to the easy things to make her just be quiet and leave me alone and that's not the kind of mother I wanted to be.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Between the nap problem and the nighttime issues I don't know what to do.  I'm completely at a loss for the nap thing, and as for nighttime, I don't want to separate or nightwean but what else can I do???</p>

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
<p>I'll just throw out a few things that helped us.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>1 - I never allow twiddling, ever and I never allow any groping/touching my boobs unless I'm nursing.  never.ever.  Even the thought of it makes me cringe.</p>
<p>2 - After a certain point (6 mos ish for my last baby) they don't 'get' to nurse between their bedtime and mine.  They only get DH or if he's not there then me, but no nursing. This helped SO MUCH I can't even express.  I wish I'd never read anything about 'tanking up for the night' because it just sent me off on a year long jag of my son nursing 8204 times a night because he didn't realize that he could actually wake up and go back to sleep without a boob.  So that little predictable period (maybe only 3 hours) where they were boobless helped a TON.  </p>
<p>3-  I don't get out of bed until 6am at the absolute earliest.  Preferably 7.  I only started this recently with my super-early riser and now she mostly sleeps until at least 6, too.  I was in an awful habit of just getting up with her and putting on the TV.  Great way to reinforce her habit of waking up at 5:15!  The first night I made her stay in bed she had a fit about it but it was just one morning (one lonnnnnnng half hour of her throwing a tantrum). Now, nothing.  Just sleep or sometimes random questions :)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>HTH a bit!</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts