Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And of course you found out afterwards. Please add your own:
1. To get a proper latch would be more difficult than putting a rocket on Mars.
2. To get a proper latch sometimes takes weeks, not hours or days.
3. That it would be over 2 years before a visit from Aunt Flow. Hurray!

4. All those hormones between you and your DC mean your sexual desires have hit an all-time low. You don't even wonder if you are missing anything, and DH has given up trying.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AllisonR View Post
And of course you found out afterwards. Please add your own:
1. To get a proper latch would be more difficult than putting a rocket on Mars.
2. To get a proper latch sometimes takes weeks, not hours or days.
3. That it would be over 2 years before a visit from Aunt Flow. Hurray!

4. All those hormones between you and your DC mean your sexual desires have hit an all-time low. You don't even wonder if you are missing anything, and DH has given up trying.

5. That learning to nurse laying down is priceless!!

·
Registered
900 Posts
8. oh, see those books where baby's latching/latched on peacefully? they never tell you that babies come with flailing arms and legs and so of course you kinda don't know what to do with them while trying to balance your boob in one hand and balancing the baby with the other.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vannienicole View Post
6. That it gives you an excuse not to do housework/homework/yucky-parts-of-parenting.... (Can you wipe DD's butt for me? I am feeding DS....
)
: umm.....yup!!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
10. That sometimes it does not work no matter how hard you try. Because you can do things to mess it up that are very hard to undo.

11. Not all babies BF in the same style and that is normal.

12. Not all LCs are actually certified, they need to be IBCLC to really know anything more than how to latch a baby and deal with the complicated problems.
:

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
13. That I would be able to do so many other things while breastfeeding at the same time.

14. That I really didn't need to stress so much over getting him latched on immediately after birth. He was ready on his own schedule, not mine. (took 2-3 hours)

15. That I could experience so much pain that I had fantasies of cutting my breasts off, and would still happily (if gingerly) offer it to him whenever he wanted.

16. That I would become so comfortable NIP that when a mama comes up to me and says. "Good for you" while I am nursing, it would take me a minute to figure out what she meant.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
17. That my period would return exactly 32 days after post-partum bleeding stopped.

18. That it would be so worth it in the end.

19. That the boob is the magic cure all for everything!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
21. That af would visit just two weeks after pp bleeding stopped despite ebf
:

22. That it still hurts the second time around even when the babe is "born" knowing what to do. She did such a good job that I had an overactive letdown.

23. That an ebf baby can sleep 12 hours in a row at night at 3 months old (thus the issues with af...but I guess I can live with that trade off).

24. That a pre-37 weeker will have massive trouble latching on because he doesn't know how to suck. It does not matter how many times you put him to the breast because he needs to learn to suck. Funny enough, he got it down after he was past the 37 week mark.

25. That a pre-36 weeker can latch on in less than 2 minutes and nurse perfectly within hours of birth. Dd knew how to suck from the start.

26. That every baby is so different in style, duration, need for milk (ds nursed every 3 hours night and day for a long time), suck power and speed, and even cuddle style.

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
27. That they may want to nurse really, really, really often. They may want to nurse every 14 minutes. They may want to nurse for 3.5 hours straight. And it's NORMAL!

28.That babies (no matter how they are fed) might sleep through the night one night, and they will NOT necessarily do it again every night for the rest of their lives, and it's NORMAL! (It's also normal if you post on a message board in a panic, she's not sleeping through the night anymore! What did I do wrong?!! And you did NOTHING wrong.)

·
Registered
951 Posts
29. That I am just filled with love every time baby nurses.

30. That babies choose their own style and position for nursing and some of those styles can be crazy (like upside down nursing in bed, DD's fav position).

31. That I wouldn't care who sees my boobs, if DD turns her head away and I flash an entire family.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
32. That sometimes, breast feeding is really really easy. My baby knew exactly how to latch and did and everything worked beautifully.

I was very afraid of breast feeding before my ds was born because I heard horror story after horror story and I am determined to tell my story because it was easy and wonderful from the start! Not trying to discount anyone's difficult experience but I do want to point out that sometimes breast feeding is easy and beautiful!!!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
33. That it IS possible for your child to do the hula standing on their head while playing with a puzzle and getting some "nah nah juice" in your lap on the sofa.

34. You'll be surprised at how quickly you grow a "magic elastic extend-a-boob" that can be pulled/stretched to amazing lengths so that standing/dancing/playing child can nurse!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
8. oh, see those books where baby's latching/latched on peacefully? they never tell you that babies come with flailing arms and legs and so of course you kinda don't know what to do with them while trying to balance your boob in one hand and balancing the baby with the other.

YES! I never even thought of that when i would read the books, look at the pictures, then the first time i went to nurse and his little arms and legs are swinging and his head is going back and forth I was like "wow, never thought of this!" lol

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
that I wouldn't be able to feel my milk let down for weeks but it would randomly let down and I'd notice because my shirt was soaked.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarlumpkin View Post
32. That sometimes, breast feeding is really really easy. My baby knew exactly how to latch and did and everything worked beautifully.

I was very afraid of breast feeding before my ds was born because I heard horror story after horror story and I am determined to tell my story because it was easy and wonderful from the start! Not trying to discount anyone's difficult experience but I do want to point out that sometimes breast feeding is easy and beautiful!!!
I was the same way, was prepared for problems with latch, painful nipples, thrush etc.... he latched on correctly the first time he saw the boob and i've never had a problem since, apart from incidents with broken teeth. I've never battled thrush and never had a supply problem, infact I had over supply
I wish I had been told sometimes it works out perfectly and is the most easy and natural thing you will do in this whole parenting journey.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.