Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That seems like too much to me, how about you?

I worry about her. Lately she's upset about half the time she's awake. I practice AP but sometimes the only thing I can do to console her is to rock her to sleep. It doesn't take long to do that, so I'm not talking about hours of screaming, just that often she seems unhappy when she's awake.

Is she bored? It would break my heart if that were the case, but maybe it is. I'm a WAHM but I stop work whenever she wakes up to attend to her. I also nurse her while simultaneously working. She doesn't really play with toys, I don't see how, since she can't hold anything. She has a mirror she likes, and that's it. I play with her by singing to her, mostly, and she smiles at that. And "Itsy Bitsy Spider" and "Pat-a-Cake." And making faces, she likes to imitate me when I stick my tongue out. don't really know how else to play with her though.

Ideas? Be gentle, please, I feel bad. I'm a FTM if you haven't guessed...

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to add, she nurses often enough, that's fine... but she has to be asleep to nurse (or she screams and refuses even if she's rooting)... so that mean she sleeps a lot! Her weight gain is beautiful, average 2 ounces a day / 2 pounds a month.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You shouldn't feel bad about rocking your child to console her. Not at 10 weeks. IMO, that is attachment parenting, consoling your child! My second ds slept a LOT for the first year of his life. I mean, sleeping through the night since 3 months (and no, this was not sleep training, we coslept and I never tried to make him sleep, he just did). Do you read to her? How about carrying her in a sling? Otherwise, mama, it sounds like you are doing very well!!

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Here is info from the dr.sears website about how much sleep children need:

Age..................................Hours per Day
Birth to 3 months ..................14 to 18
3 to 6 months ......................14 to 16
6 months to 2 years ..............12 to 14
2 to 5 years ..........................10 to 12

(from http://askdrsears.com/html/7/t071100.asp#t071121 )

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, wow, that's great to see... so she basically just sleeps the maximum side of normal!

Reading to her, I just started a little bit of that... trying to find short books to keep her attention. Just read her Pat the Bunny for the first time today, plus I have another little book with a mirror on the back.

As for slings, I am extremely sedentary - I work at the computer all day, and then I go plop somewhere else to eat dinner, and my DH and I like to watch movies. Slings work best when moving
I have one to go out with, but I don't like it very much... just bought another one and she screams when I put her in it

Anyway, blabbing aside, I feel much better, thanks!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.