Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found these great deals at a little shop here!

But I have not made any cloth diapers yet...

How do I tell if I can use these ones?

Most of them feel rough so I know it can't be used - but one of them feels a bit soft and from what I understand - if we wash it hot and dry hot like 8 times - it will soften up quite a bit - is that true?

They have both 8oz and 6oz and three different kind of patterns to them.

One is smooth on one side and textured (rough) on the other side and it stretches diagonally.

What are tips that I can use to tell whether these may be good to use or not. Also any ideas of what I can do with these cottons if I were to get them and yet cannot be used for diapers?

Thanks so much!
Yvonne

· Registered
2,904 Posts
What kind of fabric is it? Is it a bottom weight, woven, flannel, fleece...?

Generally speaking, 100% cotton is good for soakers because it's decently absorbant. Twills {unless it's diapering twill, aka birdseye} would be okay for the outer of a fitted, but would be too rough to use as an inner {well, it could be used, but yeouch!}. Same for denim and canvas. Cotton fleece is awesome for inners, soakers and outers. Cotton flannel works well for all three as well. Cotton wovens are okay for outers and can be used for inners, but they don't feel very good against the skin. Cotton knits are great for inners, soakers and outers. Same for cotton terry.

This one

Quote:
One is smooth on one side and textured (rough) on the other side and it stretches diagonally.
sounds kind of like it could be a cotton terry.

Many cotton fabrics soften some with prewashing. The fibers fluff up when they're washed.

Your best bet will be to check the bolt ends to see what type of fabric it is. Flannels, knits and terry's are all great for diapers, generally speaking.

If you were to buy them and couldn't use them for diapers, there are a variety of other things you could do with them, depending on the type of fabrics. Clothing, napkins, baby wipes, bibs, blankets, quilts, purses and diaper bags for instance, just off the top of my head.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much! I will find out more info today...

I can't check the bolts because they are all already cut up and fold in 10m/bolt at 2 dollars/meter...

But I can ask the lady and hopefully she'll know enough whether its terry or whatnot...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.