Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
been using them (3 cycles now) but not pregnant yet.....well, I might be pregnant right now but I won't know for a few more days.

We went with them b/c they ship directly to our house and b/c their prices are much more reasonable (which I hope doesn't bite us in the collective butt eventually)

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Yeah, I thought about NW because of the money. In the end though I didn't get a great feeling about them, and I felt like things like known donors were important to me.

I know the money thing sucks. I really, really do. I have debt from all of this that I wish I didn't have. But honestly, I just don't care that much. There are lots of places in life to be frugal, but I think that if you feel good about a particular bank, its policies and offerings, that should be your deciding criteria. I know that not everyone has that luxury, and sometimes, you have to make the choices that allow you to continue with TTC versus stopping completely, but if you can, follow your gut on choosing a bank.

I know some people here have used the bigger banks and been very happy. My one beef with CA Cryobank (which I think you were considering, right?) is that they don't tell you sperm counts, which for me would be a deal breaker.

Good luck. I know this part can suck sometimes.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
I guess I am saying to myself that whoever I end up with who has the unwashed available and actually makes a baby will be the right one. But the open donor thing is absolutely necessary.
This is good- you're articulating what's important, what's a deal breaker and what's not. And you're totally right- the donor that helps you make your baby is going to be the "right" one!

I think I've said before, the donor I got pregnant with was far from my first choice. But now, I can't imagine having conceived with any other one!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Katie, Let me once again plug xytex... they have a lot of what you are looking for... known donors, unwashed samples (they always had plenty). They do have a high limit on their donors... I think 40 births, but they really do go nationwide so I don't worry too much about that. They also are expensive, but known donors were important to us too and we felt they had the best selection of known donors.

I would also like to plug the NW cryobank boards. I keep meaning to mention them to you. They have a very mixed crowd of women there... lesbians, single moms by choice and heterosexual couples with male factor infertility. They are a very supportive group and I think you would find them a great help. I can get you a link but it is easy enough to find from their web site.

Good luck

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just a note xytex has a limmited number of what they are calling economic stimulis (uverstock) vials available at like a 200 dollar discount.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
I find that so frustrating and rude, that one has to get a doctor or midwife's permission to responsibly and thoughtfully insem at home, where anyone can find sperm at their own free will, not from a bank.
Oh my god, I know, this totally drove me crazy! There was all of this red tape to get my doctor's signature, and the whole time I kept thinking, people who don't even want babies get pregnant all the time, and no one ever makes their doctor sign a permission slip!

·
Registered
274 Posts
A syringe note: Call the pharmacy and see if they have them. You probably will need a 1cc needleless. We have a 3cc one that we got because the pharm. didn't have smaller, but it was too big to get into the vial! So, basically useless. The first month, I stopped at our normal pharm and asked and the pharmacist gave me four of the 1cc. The next month, we tried to find more the night before we were going to insem and couldn't find them anywhere! We had a spare one from previous, and wound up sterilizing with alcohol and letting it dry so we could reuse it. This month we found one we'd forgotten from the first month, and used that twice.

So if you find them, stock up, because you never know if they'll be available!

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Not to hijack the thread too much. . .but your syringes don't need to be sterile.

Very clean is good enough, you're not injecting anything into your bloodstream, or sharing them between people. If you're careful, you should be able to use the same syringe for months, just pull up some water after use, swish it around and squirt it back out a few times.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FtMPapa View Post
Not to hijack the thread too much. . .but your syringes don't need to be sterile.

Very clean is good enough, you're not injecting anything into your bloodstream, or sharing them between people. If you're careful, you should be able to use the same syringe for months, just pull up some water after use, swish it around and squirt it back out a few times.
Yes, though make sure it's dry when you use it, because water kills spermies.

And, if anyone reading this is doing IUIs, I think it would be important for the syringes to be sterile for that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.