Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I keep giving him stuff he doesn't digest, which is almost everything: peas, green beans, blueberries, brown rice, etc.

Is it unusual to not be digesting his food at this age?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Your baby's body is pushing it through to get it out. He isn't ready. It is totally normal for him not to be digesting these foods at this point. Heck, my 11 m/o isn't even into pureeds more than a few bites.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Humans are not designed for purees- I seriously doubt they're any better digested, just harder to identify
Though I agree that his body MAY not be ready yet. Corn comes through on adults too

To the OP, if you're spoon feeding- stop and follow his cues. Put the food in front of him and see if he eats on his own or not.

-Angela

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He never liked pureed foods (can't blame him :LOL ) so we just let him choose what he wants off the tray. He puts these things in his mouth (and doesn't make a face anymore) and some days puts them in with great gusto! And sends them out with great gusto to.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
well that's a big reason why we don't do it (pureeds). I agree that he probably isn't digesting them well either. But it is already masticated and therefore I feel it is okay for him to taste for fun.

Actually I do look at my poop

My point is that he should be able to mush/chew things up. The mouth is the beginning of the digestive process. Also the fact that some of these foods are being pushed out quickly indicates the body's need to get rid of it. Just because a baby will put things into his mouth and swallow them doesn't mean it is beneficial. Mulch, rocks, dog hair...

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
A few bits are one thing. But I'm getting the impression these are not being digested at all. Maybe I misunderstood the OP's post

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
My DD only has 4 teeth and though she definitely chews, she doesn't always chew stuff up beyond recognition. At 14 months she still eats a very small volume of solid food and much of it comes out almost unchanged in the diaper.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiro_kristin
A few bits are one thing. But I'm getting the impression these are not being digested at all.
Not at all. Except for soft fruit, its all recognizable in the dipe. He's pretty new to solids but this is the way it has been since he's started experimenting.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
As long as he's self feeding and not having any other symptoms I wouldn't worry personally. If he seems uncomfortable or is getting rashes or anything of that sort, then I'd re-think.

-Angela

1 - 13 of 13 Posts