Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
warning- looong post!<br><br>
dd has always been a pretty easy sleeper. I mean, there have been challenging nights putting her down, but for the most part pretty easy. in a sling, singing or nursing. well, at about 9 mo. or so, she started to bite me while nursing. I would detach, say, "no biting!" then allow her to get back on. if she did it again, i would reinforce the no biting and we would stop nursing. in the beginning she did this in a non-sleeping nurse session. when she was tired, she would nurse to sleep and it wasn't an issue. about the same time though, nursing her to sleep at night was not always going well. she would get all amped up, rather than relaxed. It got to the point where dh would take her and rock/sing her to sleep in the sling. she would fuss/cry for several minutes then finally fall asleep and stay asleep much longer than if i put her down. I just want to reiterate that she was never put down- always cried in arms. we didnt' have to always do this, but occasionally it was necessary depending on her mood.<br><br>
lately, however, she has been biting me when i try and nurse her to sleep, both for naps and bedtime. after 2 times, i "close up shop" so to speak, and she fusses in my arms for about 30 seconds to a minute. then, i cave, and she latches back on and literally falls asleep within a minute. I think she needs the crying release before she can relax into sleep.<br><br>
The problem is that i feel like we are getting into a bad habit- nursing/biting/crying release. When dh is around and can put her to sleep, the crying is shorter and she knows she can't nurse, so not an issue. But with me, she is mad because she knows the boob is there, but can't have it because of the biting. I really want to gently teach her other ways to fall asleep. She will fall asleep in the car, so sometimes i time her naps for at the end of errands so she'll fall asleep in the car and i can carry her in the house. but, i can't always do that.<br><br>
I should say that i am pretty attentive to her schedule. we cut playdates short if she is sleepy so she can nap. we keep to a pretty standard 7-7:30 bedtime. i watch her cues and we follow them. if we miss them, she goes beyond and the second wind comes and she's up till she's exhausted and i feel terrible because she is *so* tired. This happened tonight. we were at my moms' because work was being done on our house. she needed to nap but wouldn't- kept biting. i could have held her while she fussed/ wailed, but just couldn't deal, so i figured better to let her just play till she couldn't hold out any longer. she fell asleep in the car on the way home.<br><br>
I guess i am just not sure where to go from here. I mean, i want to pay attention to her cues and help her sleep when she is obviously tired, but I feel like we're not helping her learn to sleep without one of us, and right now it's dad. She is ok in a Mayawrap now, but as she gets bigger, we can't be slinging her to sleep forever. Has anyone sucessfully transitioned their dc to fall asleep from sling/nursing/rocking to lying in bed? I have no problem with us needing to lie down with her, or even hold her in bed, but right now, unless she is in the sling, its like nursing aerobics- she is *all* over the place- even standing up, bending over my breasts!<br><br>
so, sorry for the super long post. thanks for reading, and i'll take all tips and insights!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Awww. Poor little girl. ANd poor boobies!!! EEk, that sounds painful. Could the biting be related to teething at all? The only time my DD bites, is when her teeth are coming in, and I think she wants the extra pressure on her gums.<br><br>
About the sleeping thing, I too let DH put DD to sleep and she USED to cry in his arms, but now at 14 months, she LOVES his arms! We stopped the rocker at maybe 5 months (she didn't like it anymore) and the sling by 8 months (she didn't like that anymore either)-- but we discovered that she liked to be held against our chest and "walked" to sleep. So, for months we would burn calories walking her. Often, I left that task to DH, because in my arms, she would usually still want booby.<br><br>
However, she recently outgrew the walking too, and now ACTUALLY lets us just lie her down and she rolls over and goes to sleep. Ona typical night at our house, I nurse DH for about 10 minutes. Then she detaches and says "Dah?" (meaning "daddy") and I take her to him, and she smiles and says "nigh-nigh" to me and he takes her to our room where he holds her for a little bit, then puts her in her crib. We then take her into our bed when she wakes (usually 3-5 hours later) We NEVER ler her CIO, ever. It was work those first 13 months, but now, she is secure enough to fall asleep on her own. Because she knows she is loved and that mommy and daddy are always just a cry away. I'm possitive your DD will graduate from the sling easily as well. Babies are so much more adaptable than we give them credit for being. I'm learning that their habits aren't TOO hard to break. I just takes a little time and patience.<br><br>
Good luck, and keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Sorry if this is off-target, but do you drink caffeinated stuff at all? I noticed with both my kids that if I had more than a little soda or coffee, nursing wouldn't quite be so calming anymore...

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks nikirj and marni...<br><br>
before i respond to the sleeping thing, Marni, I have to mention your typo:<br><br><br>
"on a typical night at our house, I nurse DH for about 10 minutes." lol!! my dh would love it if that was a "typical night" at our house!! lol... i know what you mean though.<br><br>
tonight i tried to lay her on the bed and nurse her several times. Didn't quite work. by the time she was really ready to sleep, i put her in the sling but didn't nurse her. she cried for about a minute, then i sat on the bed and nursed her in my arms (though she was still in teh sling, but I wasn't rocking her) and she fell promptly asleep. again, the crying though. Dh loves to put her to sleep, and i think dd likes it too, but because he works from home and is a programmer, sometimes, like tonight, he just can't stop working and needs to keep going for whatever reason (deadlines, broken sites, etc..) So, we need to be flexible. But marni, what you describe is an ideal situation for me. thanks for sharing, its really helpful.<br><br>
nikirj- you know, i have been drinking more caffeine lately. Usually a cup of 1/2 caf, 1/2 decaf in the morning, or a cup of black tea. Then in the afternoon, i sometimes have a second cup. i should cut it out and see if that makes a difference.<br><br>
thanks mamas!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts