Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm hoping to get some help from some families that may have dealt with reflux.
My son is 11 weeks old and EBF. He's growing, alert and very happy for the most part. However, over the past two weeks or so, he is having difficulty getting to sleep and staying there, both for naps and night. He nurses to sleep, but sometimes wakes with a gaggy or gasping sound, and it seems that he's maybe been holding his breath before the sounds. He also will appear to be fast asleep, then gag a bit and begin kicking his legs and swimming his arms rapidly while grimacing. No spit up, just gag/swallow. There have been a few periods in the evenings where he is very fussy, and it seems to be on days where he hasn't slept properly during the day due to this gaggy waking.

He sometimes sounds gurgly or congested in his throat, and has started drooling a lot. He nurses well, and frequently, but sometimes chokes and gags at the initial letdown of milk and swallows a lot of air. He doesn't often burp, but passes a lot of gas from the other end. He rarely spits up and has never had projectile vomit of any sort. His breath smells milky, and he poops every other day (it's orangy-yellow with seeds about 50% of the time). He has a little redness around his anus some days, others he has none.

I'm worried he may be refluxing, and don't want him to be in pain or have any long term effects from this. I've tried Hyland's colic tabs, which seem to help a little (?), but I'm wondering what other natural methods we can try in the short term. I'd rather not medicate him, but will do so if natural methods don't help. I'm seeing lots of ads for "Colic Calm" and am wondering if anyone has tried this with success? I'm also reading about moms who try elimination diets for their LO's reflux with success, but (selfishly) am really not wanting to go that route if I can avoid it, but I will if I need to.

Thank you to all who read and reply to this long post.

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
Have you tried taking dairy out of your diet? Food allergies are a common cause of reflux, and dairy is the #1 allergen. (But don't go and replace all your dairy with soy products, because soy is also a very common allergen.)

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
I'd find the "yeah that" smiley but I'm too tired. I agree with ChangingSeasons. If it is reflux, it's either structural (which can be ruled out with tests like an upper GI) or food intolerances. I'm not sure there are other causes in infants. Top intolerances: dairy, gluten, soy, corn. Gripe water helped us while we were trying to determine the cause. But if you get reflux meds, it will cover up the symptoms but it won't cure anything.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Heather, my son had reflux as a baby and I know how hard it can be. Your post reminded me much of him at that age. When I figured out what was going in, I became very disciplined about keeping him upright after nursing for at least 30 minutes. So, in the middle of the night I would semi-recline against a bunch of pillows in bed while he slept on my chest. And while nursing I made sure to keep his body positioned so that his belly and legs were lower than his chest, to help keep the BM down.

These two changes alone helped tremendously and his obvious discomfort diminished, especially when laying horizontal. However, he continued to have GI issues throught the first year that I only recently (at 18 months) figured out fit into a larger picture of some significant GI/food sensitivity issues, which ended up culminating in eczema. So, I wish I had known then what I know now! Oh man!

Hopefully your LO does not have these issues, but I would encourage you to visit the allergy forum and search for reflux there. The women over there are so helpful and know so much....and you're likely to find others going through the similar issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.