Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
An eleven year old Williamsburg girl is still in the hospital, four days after an accident at Adventureland Park. Mackenzie Jennings was riding the Tornado roller coaster with her mother on Monday. Mother, Kathie Hooper says towards the end of the ride she saw a board sticking out. That board and her daughter's head collided.
http://www.whotv.com/Global/story.as...&nav=menu100_1

I'd be suing for everything. It says in the article the park would not call an ambulance, what would have happened if the employee had gotten into a wreck on the way to the hospital or got delayed by traffic or something and that blood clot had burst and killed that little girl?

I'd have DEMANDED they call an ambulance.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
The park wouldn't let them call 911? Wasn't there someone with a cell phone in the entire park. I think that having an employee drive a child with a fractured skull to the hospital just adds more liability for the park. The park definately needs to rethink their emergency practices.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
That's crazy!!!!! I would've also DEMANDED that they call an ambulance!!!! WOW, I'd be livid.....but VERY thankfull that my child was "okay".

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Quote:
Adventureland employees did not call for an ambulance. Instead the employees drove Jennings and her mother to Mercy Hospital in Des Moines.
Says did not call, not would not call.

But still I agree, this is weird.

Hope the little girl is ok.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetfeet
The park wouldn't let them call 911? Wasn't there someone with a cell phone in the entire park. I think that having an employee drive a child with a fractured skull to the hospital just adds more liability for the park. The park definately needs to rethink their emergency practices.
It says in the article

Quote:
Adventureland employees did not call for an ambulance. Instead the employees drove Jennings and her mother to Mercy Hospital in Des Moines.
It didn't say the employees wouldn't LET them call an ambulance...just that the employees did not call for an ambulance. An employee probably offered to drive them and the mother accepted the offer.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by babygrant
It says in the article

It didn't say the employees wouldn't LET them call an ambulance...just that the employees did not call for an ambulance. An employee probably offered to drive them and the mother accepted the offer.
Ah reading while fixing lunch.
: I meant didn't call.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Woops...misread.

I think, maybe, the mom was just so freaked out she didn't care HOW she was getting to the hospital so long as she got there.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesMama
Woops...misread.

I think, maybe, the mom was just so freaked out she didn't care HOW she was getting to the hospital so long as she got there.
I agree with that too. Sometimes you are just in so much shock you don't care HOW you get help for your child...as llong as you get it.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah...but I keep thinking...What if it had taken the employee too long? Or they got in a car accident on the way? Or traffic? That blood clot could have burst and killed her. Thats just frightening.

I heard on the news today that Adventureland believes the board was left accidently during a routine inspection of the ride.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesMama
Yeah...but I keep thinking...What if it had taken the employee too long? Or they got in a car accident on the way? Or traffic? That blood clot could have burst and killed her. Thats just frightening.
I totally get what you're saying, and I agree that it adds liability, BUT, in some areas, ambulance response time is rediculous. In my area, it's up to 22 minutes (give or take a few min). In other areas of long island, it's worse! And then when they get there, they have some things to do--vitals, quick history, load her up (ie strap her onto stretcher, etc), stuff like that.

Maybe everyone thought this would have been quicker and thus safer?

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That could be...but I'm from Iowa. DH used to be an EMT and he said Des Moines has one of the best response times of a large city...right around 5 minutes give or take, and the ambulance bay is within a few blocks of Adventureland and they are full time so it probably would have taken them 5 minutes.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Whatever happens, the amusement park is responsible. They are to make every reasonable effort including test runs and inspecting the rides of debris or hazards. They should pay for her medical bills and pain and suffering. I think it's crazy that they didn't call 911 though. I mean, I guess I can understand if response times are slow, but it's really the right thing to do-and it can be used against them in court.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts