Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
We made ours out of those big 18-gallon Rubbermaid totes. We got two of them, drilled teeny tiny holes all over the lid, bottom, and sides, and added slightly bigger holes (nail-sized) on the bottom. We set one of them up on bricks on top of an upturned lid (to elevate it for drainage) and snapped on the other lid. When the first bin is full of worm castings, we put the other bin inside the original one (on top of everything) with some more food and newspaper and stuff, and the worms will migrate up into that bin, at which point we take away the old one and harvest all the goodness.

Total cost: $8 for the totes, which were on sale.

·
Registered
396 Posts
It depends on where you want to keep it. If you want to keep it under your sink it needs to be made from a small bin. I was able to make a bin from a larger, 22 or so gal. clear tub. It worked wonderfully. I purchased one of the layered bins last year and it works really nice. It's tall, shaped like a garbage can and would work okay inside, also. I keep it in the garage, though.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never thought of making one! Those make a lot of sense. Of course, hubby is being a snob now that we were looking at buying them and wants to buy one. :p We're going to keep in the garage to keep it away from the kids and to be able to have it larger than under the kitchen sink. PLus I dont know why but something grosses me out about worms in the kitchen - lol.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't want mine in the kitchen either. We keep ours on the back deck.

I highly recommend making one; after all, you don't want to turn an ecologically friendly project into another opportunity for waste and consumption. It took my husband about ten minutes to make ours. We did purchase the worms themselves, which I forgot to mention - you don't want just any worms, you want red wrigglers. We paid about $30 for a pound of small worms and we're thinking about getting another pound since our bin is so big.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, I've been looking at that link too. I'd still prefer to have one with the trays.. (and I'm not sure which is more ecologically friendly for what it's worth, as I'd be buying the bins or buying the worm bin made out of recycled materials). My plan is to keep an eye on craigslist for a used one... while waiting for bins to go on sale somewhere (or even maybe find those on craigslist!).

Now, any suggestions on where to buy the worms?

·
Registered
110 Posts
There are several vidoes on YouTube that show you how to make them from rubbermaid tubs. Also we have the Can O'Worms from Planet Natural and it works well. We keep ours in our garage year round out of direct sunlight. We are zone 8. As long as you keep it damp they have no problem in the heat and it can get in the 100's here.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by matey View Post
Does anyone know a temp to be concerned about when it comes to the worms. Even my garage gets to be pretty hot in the summer.
When I used a rubbermaid tub, mine was in the basement year round. Then, when I got the "condo", I kept it on my back patio in the shade. There was usually a good enough breeze to keep it cool. I moved it to the garage for the winter. I plan to do the same this year.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
This is my bin: worm bin

I have mine in the garage, in the back near the wall to my house. Worms prefer 40-90 degrees. Right now, I have a few sheets wrapped around my bin to keep them warmer. They go dormant in the winter since my garage is around 35-40 degrees on the cold days.

I got my worms from someone on a local Mommy group, but I have posted extras on Freecycle and picked up overripe fruits and veggies for them too.

I blogged a bit about my experiences (the link should be in my "about me" and click on the garden category).

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I wanted a Gusanito 5 tray bin but that was too expensive for us. So, I'm using a rubbermaid bin. We're keeping ours in our basement for now but I might put them out in our shed once the weather warms up more. This is our first year having them so I'm still learning too.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by northwoods1995 View Post
I wanted a Gusanito 5 tray bin but that was too expensive for us. So, I'm using a rubbermaid bin. We're keeping ours in our basement for now but I might put them out in our shed once the weather warms up more. This is our first year having them so I'm still learning too.
It was $$$ but at the time our condo was on the market, and DH would only agree to one if it looked nice on our deck

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Can someone tell me how to compost for the worms? Ds is doing a worm class at our homeschool co-op. We made our worm beds last Friday. Some of the kids brought their composts and theirs were all gross, juicy, etc. Mine just looks like little pieces of dried food.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by seren View Post
Can someone tell me how to compost for the worms? Ds is doing a worm class at our homeschool co-op. We made our worm beds last Friday. Some of the kids brought their composts and theirs were all gross, juicy, etc. Mine just looks like little pieces of dried food.
Are you talking about the food and bedding the worms live in? It should be bedding, made of shredded b/w newspaper or leaves. I fill my bin loosely with this, then add produce to it, peelings, rinds, ends, etc. Yours filled with dried food sounds a little - dry. Your bedding should be wet, but not sopping wet. Try adding some moisture by misting it with water.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
We have the bed filled with newspaper. It is normal for it to dry out quickly? Nostly jsut the top layer. THe teacher told us to compost our leftovers and feed them abount once a week. SHe's out of town for a week, so I have no way to ask her. I put the food in a container without a lid and it just shriveled up. I put new food in a container with a lid and it's still just shriveled, with a tiny bit of moisture on the side of the container and it's been a few days.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Since your bin is new, it will dry out quickly. Give it a spritz to moisten it up.

Food will shrivel if you're keeping it out in a bowl or something for a couple of days. Don't worry, the worms will still eat it!

I don't keep my food sitting out for a week. I usually give them whatever scraps I have soon after I make them. I figure the food composts just as well in the worm bin as it would sitting on my counter attracting gnats.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.