Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me what your toddler's sleep schedule is like. My son just transitioned to one nap, and is sleeping, in general, 11.5 hours at night with a 2ish hour nap in the middle of the day. But that doesn't seem to be enough sleep for him, as he's so tired before his nap and before he goes to sleep at night. Is that a "normal" amount of sleep for a 13-14 month old? He's always seemed to sleep more than other babes, and definitely needs long naps. But I can't seem to get him to nap longer than 2 hours in the afternoon. Is being awake for 5-6 hours at 13-14 months old too much, or is he just getting used to the transition to one nap a day? Any information is much appreciated!

·
Registered
471 Posts
My DD is 14 months. She has also transitioned to 1 nap and it's usually between 1.5 to 2 hours. She sleeps at night from about 8:00PM to about 7:30AM - not always all the way through (she was up at 1:00 am the other night). She has never been a great sleeper, so for her, this is a lot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 14.5 month old has also transitioned to one nap a day, usually around 11am or noon and sleeps for probably 1.5 hrs, sometimes less. She is falling asleep at night around 8 or 8:30 and waking around 7. She seems fine with this amount of sleep.<br><br>
She really doesn't sleep great at night right now though and neither do I, she wants to nurse a lot through the night, I am attributing it to her molars coming in and I hope we get through this stage quickly. She screams and keeps everyone up if I try to stop the nursing so I usually just continue, but it can get frustrating. I seem to remember this happening at the same age with my ds who is now 3, and just when I thought I couldn't take any more night nursing it stopped.<br><br>
Anyway, despite all that my 14 month old seems to be great with this amount of sleep.

·
Registered
121 Posts
DD is 13 months and now only has the one nap which is usually around 2 hours starting anywhere from 11:30 to 2:00 ish . At 10:00 we start geting ready for bed and she is usually out by 10:30 and sleeps till 8:00 ish and wakes 3+ times to nurse and pee (we EC)!<br>
I wish she would sleep more but she doesn't seem to need it! By 10:00 she is one tired babe but if I try to put her to bed too soon it's just a big fight to get her to fall asleep and she ends up staying awake longer than usual!<br><br>
SIL's kids go to bed at 7 and sleep till 7am and she was shocked when I told her about DD, I told her DD would be up at like 4-5 am if I put her to bed at 7!<br>
I don't think she believes me!

·
Registered
527 Posts
DD transitioned to 1 nap around 16 months old. Before that, she was sleeping 9pm-7am, and napping 11/11:30-1pm & 5/5:30-7pm, so total of 13-14 hours. Now she sleeps 8pm-7am and naps 1-3pm, so about 13 hours. We have kind of late bed time, too (lots of people have their kiddos go to bed at 7pm!) but it works for us. She is getting plenty of sleep, waking up laughing and running!<br><br>
As far as being tired...<br>
(1) If he just transitioned to 1 nap schedule, he might go back and forth between 1 or 2 nap days. My DD did that for about a month or so. If he looks tired, try doing 2 naps again. I know my DD was not ready to be up for 5-6 hours at 13 month old!<br>
(2) Or, you might have to move both the nap and bed time forward. We have to move DD's bedtime forward by about an hour when we went to 1 nap.

·
Registered
632 Posts
DD is 18 months and occasionally naps for a few hours in the early afternoon, maybe 2 times a week. Otherwise she sleeps from 10pm till 9am. She will wake around 4am when I crawl into bed and either go right back to sleep or scoot closer for some nursing to drift back asleep.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input. I guess my son is sleeping enough. He just seems tired some days, but when I try to nurse him and get him to nap early, he will snuggle, but not fall asleep. And I can't move his bedtime any further up...He's already going to sleep between 6-7pm! But he'll sleep from 6:30pm-6am, with only one or two wakings, then nap from 10:30ish-12:30ish pretty well. It just seems like 5-6 hours is a long time for him to be up at one time, but he won't go down any earlier so I guess he's just getting used to the new schedule.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
DD is 19 months, but transitioned to 1 nap at 10 mths (ugh!). She sleeps straight from 7pm-7am and naps between 2 and 3 hours in the middle of the day at noon. Her nap length seems to vary. It's enough sleep for her - she's not usually grumpy in the evenings etc as long as she has her nap. A few times it's been messed up - if she had 20 mins in the car but woke when we were transitioning her. That's when it's not so fun from 4pm or so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts