Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi My little girl was a real Mummy's milk girl until last Saturday night. Friday night dh and I went to the movies and she was out we we came back so she didn't feed before bed. I fed her in the middle of the night since then she has refused bedtime feeds wanting a bottle of formula. Saturday night she lost it when I tried to feed her, same with Monday etc. Then this morning she refused her morning feed. Now she has 4 teeth coming in and she is off her food. Is she self-weaning or is it the teeth or a nursing strike. I am in agony physically. I work outside the home so I can't wean at work. Before all of this started she feed 2 x say and 3-4 times at the weekend.

Can you give me any advice? Thanks

· Registered
3,148 Posts
Sounds like a nursing strike related to teething.

I would drop all bottles/ formula and nurse on demand. Spend a lot of time with your top off. Allow her to latch in new positions and old ones. Get in the bathtub with her and turn the lights down low. Nurse while she is sleeping by bringing her into bed with you. Best of luck.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding. I hope it is just a strike but I am content that if she has finished on her on accord but wish it was a bit slower. It is the top front 4 teeth that are just breaking through. Last night we had a bit more success. When took for to bed I tried skin to skin while we read her stories. I didn't even attempt to feed her. She initatied and fed for about 5 minutes and then when I tried switch sides she grabbed her book and got into position for more reading. Then after a few more minutes turned around a fed for another few minutes. She did this a couple more times. About 20 mins later she started looking for the bottle. When she woke up in the middle of the night I fed her I don't normally do that but I wanted to see if she would take it and she did. We do part-time co-sleeping (she starts out in the cot but ends up in our bed during the night). Wish me luck for this morning. I hope at the weekend she can be encouraged to end the strike. More skin to skin (aka top off), feeding at night and I will try the bath. I will see what happens if I don't give in with the bottle. Fingers crossed.

· Registered
5,001 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nummies View Post
Sounds like a nursing strike related to teething.

I would drop all bottles/ formula and nurse on demand. Spend a lot of time with your top off. Allow her to latch in new positions and old ones. Get in the bathtub with her and turn the lights down low. Nurse while she is sleeping by bringing her into bed with you. Best of luck.
:

It does sound like a nursing strike - and that you are helping her to work through it.

Are you able to pump or hand express to keep your supply up until she is back at the breast full time?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.