Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
10,741 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamajama View Post
Besides the humiliating tactics suggested by snarfywarning, how would one go about 'making' the child clean it up?
In the same way I "made" my daughter clean up her stinky nasty room this morning - no TV, no playing outside, no nothing til it was done. It's not hard. She got it done in 30 minutes and is happy about it cause her room doesn't smell like butt.

· Registered
10,741 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbm1001 View Post
UPDATE!:

Okay, so I approached him after posting, hoping he'd tell me what's going on with him. He was embarassed to even talk about it at first because he thought I'd laugh at him.
He said he peed on his floor because he's afraid of the dark. While this may make no sense to some I totally understood what he meant. He sees & hears noises in the dark & at the age of 12 I think he expects that's something that he should've grown out of by now. At first, before I got him to confide in me, his words were "it's a 7 y.o. thing", so I'm pretty sure he was just embarassed/ashamed to still be dealing with this at 12. He said he sees things on the floor & they look like something else like a face or something else frightening & sometimes he thinks he hears footsteps (we've had wierd happenings around here since we moved in a few months ago....another story altogether).

He said sometimes he's afraid to get out of his bed, for fear whatever he's "seeing" will get him. When I was his age I still saw things that weren't really there, half between sleep & consciousness, & often heard my sexually abusive fathers voice whispering my name as I was drifting off to sleep, which would immediately startle me awake. I know my issues were different but they at least help me to understand why being afraid of the dark might cause him to not want to get out of bed. I don't think his issue with the dark is much more than an overactive imagination, which makes me feel better about the whole thing.

I offered to buy him one of those men's urinals if he promised to use it instead of the carpet. I also offered to get him a nightlight & talked to him about being embarassed about being afraid of the dark. I explained people sometimes laugh or make fun of things they don't/can't understand & while that does make them insensitive & sometimes judgemental, he shouldn't feel ashamed.

Shannon
You rock
Glad to hear that update!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.