Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We don't have an official diagnosis, but it looks like he has early/mid stage. He had the typcial "bullseye" rash, fever, aches, etc. We have decided to treat him with doxycycline (antibiotic) for 3 weeks. We have heard that the test for lyme's isn't always accurate, but don't want to take any chances.<br><br>
Has anyone had any experience with Lyme's/insight to share? I don't like the idea of him being on antibiotics for 3 weeks, but I don't want him to have future medical problems from this.<br><br>
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I'm not a proponent of antibiotics, but from what I hear, this is one circumstance when it's a good route. I have a few friends with Lyme, one of whom is quite organic. Even she says the best bet is to "hit it early and hit it hard."

·
Premium Member
2,420 Posts
Both my father (in his 70's now) and my Niece had lyme...my Dad's case was fairly mild and I think they consider him 'cured' after a 3 week or so course of antibiotics many years ago.<br><br>
My Niece got it in her teens (she's 26 now), and treated it then but has had it re-emerge a few times, in the form of not feeling well or extreme swelling in her knees or other joints, each time having to go on an intense 20 day treatment of antibiotic that she had to administer to herself by IV.<br><br>
Lyme can range from mild to deadly, so if he were my child, I would give him the antibiotic... My understanding is that if you don't catch it at the outset, it lives--think it's a spirochete (spelling?)--in your blood forever and can build up again in quantity until it makes you sick. Many of the doctors on the East End of Long Island (where my relatives were when they caught it) will give antibiotics to anyone who has been bitten by a deer tick as a preventative, regardless of the rash or symptoms (this may be extreme, but they have a lot of experience with this disease out there).<br><br>
And yes, the blood test is often wrong, but I don't think the symptoms are...if he got the bullseye rash, then he most likely has it (though there are bullseye rashes associated with some spider bites too--did you see the tick??). I think they have to wait another month to do a second blood test.<br><br>
Best wishes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts