Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd only has 4 teeth (more like 3 & 1/2!) and I can hear her kind of grinding and scraping them together. I've mentioned it to a couple friends who just said "Oh, my dc did that all the time", but should I be trying to distract her from doing it? Could it damage her teeth?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Isn't it irritating? My DD did that for a while, maybe a month. Nothing worked to stop her or distract her, but she did just stop by herself eventually. I think it's just the child getting used to having top and bottom teeth and finding out what happens when she grinds them together.

I'm trying to remember if she stopped doing it so much when we ignored it. Hmm... that might be something to try, even though I'm sure it drives you bonkers. It's one of the sounds that bugs me most.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
i can't remember who makes it....maybe the first years??....but there's a star-shaped vibrating teether (at BRU etc.) that made a HUGE difference for DD. she grinds her teeth (since 6 months old) whenever new teeth are coming in. she's looking to relieve the pain & pressure somehow. the massaging teether does the trick! (and teething tablets help too)

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
i tell 2 1/2 year old ds not to do it, becasue he already has some teeth probs. but i have to tell him very delicatly , picking my moment and words , so i dont ust make him do it more. but i feel its good to educate them that they might be hurting themselves. teeth grinding wears your teeth down. but if its just going to make them do it more to say something, its probably best to say nothing and just distract somehow.

when i tell ds i say " that can hurt you" or " that can hurt your teeth honey, you shouldnt do it" he will do it a time or two more to see if it still bugs me, but i think he generally sees what i mean. amazingly! if he keeps it up i just look at him kind of worridly, like i am worried he is getting hurt but not worried enough to say anything . then i just ignore it. seems to work for me usually, he stops. for a 13 mos old, maybe say "teeth are for biting food" and offer a teething biscut? just an idea

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi.
My daughter did the same thing when she was 12 and 13 months. She did it so much that I actually took her to a pediatric dentist to make sure she wasn't damaging the 4 teeth she had. The dentist said it is very common when teeth are coming in, and that they will usually stop on their own. Which my daughter did about 4 days after the dentist visit!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts