Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi! my dd is 13 months and ebf. we have tried solids for since 6 months on and off trying different foods, pureed foods, finger foods, etc plenty of textures. we have tried feeding her vs. her self-feeding. either way she just doesn't like anything EXCEPT plain whole milk yogurt. she eats about 6 oz of yogurt a day and besides that HATES the taste of everything and flat out refuses any other food. everyone says that this doesn't last forever but i can't help but just feel like she is never going to eat. does anyone out there have a similar experience? anyone with a toddler that is pretty much exclusively breastfed? i just feel nervous since she is my first baby....

·
Registered
977 Posts
My second child was hardly eating anything at 13 months . . . it was difficult to think of things to feed him because he seemed to dislike everything. At 16 months now, he's eating most things, and usually happy to try something new. (First child would try/eat/and loved everything . . . each one is different.)

I'm sure she'll get over it. Just keep offering different foods. Sometimes my son won't try/eat something until he's seen me take a bite. Sometimes he needs a drink of water before he'll eat (at those times I've mistaken his refusal of food as a complete refusal--I finally realized that once he had a drink of water, then he was ready to eat what I was offering.)

Hang in there!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Oh yes. My toddler was 90% BF until 13 months which is when she started eating some solids. She started eating plain grilled chicken and some steamed vegetables and then I got her eating some fish and the above and that and bread was all she'd eat until about a month ago.

What clinched it for us was metal tipped cutlery. It is much easier for her to pick up her food this way and now she will eat pretty much anything.

With DD, I think the problem was manyfold; she had an immature gut (didn't lose gag reflex till 10 months), veyr sensitive mouth and very sore teeth and also she is very imdependent and likes to do things her self.

The key is patience, patience, patience and time. I KNOW how ahard it is and how much you have to deal with pressure from other people.

Believe me whan I tell you that it WILL improve.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
My ds also hardly ate until maybe 14 mo and even then picked up quite gradually. He's now 2 and eats pretty well and still nurses a lot. He always wanted control of what he ate, so wouldn't tolerate spoon feeding and began to eat more once he could feed himself yogurt etc. in addition to finger foods.

We just kept putting a little of what we were eating in front of him, all sat at the table together as much as possible, and then just let him eat what he wanted when he was ready.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Both of my kids were 99% breastfed until about 18 months of age. I didn't plan it, esp not with my first one. I introduced solids faithfully from 6 months on with nothing but disgusted faces and pursed lips. My 2nd child would actually gag for the longest time. They both eat fine now (no gagging either). My 24 month old still nurses a great deal but he tries lots of food, even spicy tacos. Both my kids are large for their age, healthy, smart, and well-adjusted. I did worry, b/c I had planned to do the whole "solids at 6 mos" for my first esp. After reading a lot, it seems it's not abnormal for an exclusively bf child to hold off on food into that 2nd yr. My family dr said the same thing.

My advice is to try not to worry and to possibly back off food attempts for a while. They can pick up on our anxiety and you don't want to make food an issue. Plus, mine really dug their heels in if I tried too hard/too often. I'd just have the child at the supper table, but don't push food. Perhaps have him on someone's lap or put him in a chair with a finger-food in front of him. Mine only drew with the steamed carrots, but they were there if he wanted to eat them.

I know it's hard not to worry. I didn't see this coming at all with my first child. It's not uncommon when the child is excl bf and gets no imitation nipples. A recent study in Israel showed that human milk actually increases dramatically in fat and calories in that second yr. Hang in there!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mavery
He always wanted control of what he ate, so wouldn't tolerate spoon feeding and began to eat more once he could feed himself yogurt etc. in addition to finger foods.
Mine were like this, esp my second one. He started on finger foods and wouldn't tolerate any feedings by others. My first was the same, but he was funny about messes. He hated getting his hands dirty so once he used silverware pretty early on.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
My dd is nearly 15 months and most days eats nowhere NEAR 6 oz of food. I offer her some nice finger-food choices two meals a day. She eats what she wants.

She's healthy. No worries.

-Angela

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.