Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<span>She stopped nursing after this morning. I don't get it. She vomited 8 times day 1, diarrhea 7 times day 2 (no vomiting), 2 liquid poos day 3, 2 again day 4, 3 today with 1 bout of vomiting. This entire time she has eaten very little. Sips of water, diluted pear juice (very), refused rehydration liquids. She will make the sign for nurse over and over, but then turns her head and wimpers at the breast. Before now she has been nursing like a champ! Now I'm starting to get worried!<br><br>
Her hydration status is good. Good skin turgor, cries tears, wet mucous membranes. She went from 22 lbs to 19.75 lbs. She's weak but does still play a little at times. Crazy.<br><br>
And, this might be TMI, but has anyone else had babies with that sickenly sweet/putrid smell poos and breath with this stuff? The liquid poo is yellow. It was overwhemlingly foul, but now is changing to a gross almost sweet smell (I can't think of any other way to describe it).<br><br>
I guess I'm tired and nearing the end of my rope here. Her Uncle had it and I believe that was our mode of transmission.<br><br>
Anyone have any experiences or advice?<br><br>
TIA<br><br>
Kimber</span>

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
She may have gotten it into her head that milk is what is upsetting her tummy. My dd did this with reflux and ended up on a temporary nursing strike.<br><br>
We have not had rotavirus, but we get at least one stomach bug every year. Dd (16 months) had two this year. The first time she threw up for 7 days, the second time for 5. I think they have trouble digesting the dairy in your milk when they're sick. Both of my kids seemed to have trouble digesting breastmilk when sick, and I know it is the most easily digested food, so it can't be the milk itself. Also I know that dairy is generally the last thing you add back to your diet when you yourself have been sick, so it makes a lot of sense to me.<br><br>
So for dd's most recent bug, I laid off the dairy and she seemed to recover more quickly. That probably won't help you now, since dariy takes a while to get out of your system, but it is something to consider in the future.<br><br>
As her tummy starts to feel better, I bet she'll realize that it's okay to nurse. In the meantime, keep offering. To keep her hydrated, you could try to sneak the breast in her mouth when she's sleepy/asleep. That trick sustained my dd during her strike!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
this sounds like what my 9m old is getting through now,he is on day 5 too.his poops are runny/seedlike I guessed it was because he was only taking breastmilk so he has gone back to thse sweet smelling poops.<br>
I can't help you with the nursing strike though sorry,oh BTW we had the putrid smelly poops before and today t hey were most like infant breastmilk poops,<br>
take care,hope your little one feels better soon,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts