Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend (who is on the board of directors for the local shelter), took home a pregnant shelter dog to foster. Pregnant dogs at the shelters get put in a 6 x 6 cage and almost never let out until the puppies are 8 weeks old, and slowly go insane. So, after seeing this happen several times, she couldn't let this dog go through that too. When she brought her home, besides being very pregnant, she was a little underweight. I thought she was going to deliver last weekend, and she went another week. She had them sunday morning. I knew she was going to have alot, but not 13!<br><br>
Good news is, I think they're probably not less than 75% lab. Mom is mostly lab (she has a touch of something else, perhaps border collie). Puppies look like labs. 7 blacks, 6 yellows.<br><br>
She's giving her puppy food (I had her to buy iams, it's all she could afford, she'd been feeding beneful). She's also giving her canned food.<br><br>
I know this would most likely be sufficient for a normal sized litter, but this not a normal sized litter. Is this enough? Or do we need to supplement?<br><br>
She's fine, and puppies are nice and fat and healthy.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
I think that Canidae is about the same price as IAMS or Beneful. Maybe a bit more, but they eat less so it evens out. It is MUCH better for them.<br><br>
Lots of water, and hopefully Joanna will chime in here. I would be inclined to put some raw ground beef/turkey or even better, some chicken wings or something in mom's bowl but Joanna will know better than will I.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Babies should be weighed at least once a day, preferably twice. Anybody significantly lagging (for example, if everybody else gained 3/4 oz and he gained 1/4) needs a day of being preferentially placed at good nipples. If there's more than one or two that need that, I supplement the whole bunch of them. Some bitches can feed 13 but most are going to need help pretty soon.<br><br>
I use a basic homemade formula very similar to the Leerburg one, with 5 oz of water instead of his two or three.<br><br>
A lab-sized puppy can use a Haberman or preemie nipple. It should be a fast-flow, that drips steadily but does not pour when you hold it sideways. Hold the baby so it has to stretch its neck out, and let it get a lot of the nipple inside (they want to get it way back in their throats). They'll take a shocking amount, like 2 oz per puppy, and then drop off and sleep.<br><br>
You supplement as much as is necessary to keep weights increasing. Sometimes that's just once a day, sometimes it's more. I want to see the bitch doing most of it if possible.<br><br>
Anyone who is weak should get MOM, not bottle, as much as possible as long as she's making good milk. Use karo under the tongue, wait two minutes, put the puppy on the best teat. If he can nurse strongly, he'll usually be OK. If he can't nurse strongly, try the bottle but he may need to be tubed. Never, ever feed (at bottle or mom) a chilled puppy. Put him in your bra untl he's warm and wiggling, then karo, then mom.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts