Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>My 13mo dd eats very little (read nearly no) table food.  She was exclusively bfed until about 10mos.  At that time I figured that even though she seemed to show no interest in eating it was time to start introducing her to it.  Well, she has a really sensititve gag reflex and even though I was giving her soft bits of what we were eating and mashing them up she still gagged alot.  Finally, we had a couple instances of her gagging and vomiting at the table so I took that as a sign that she simply wasn't ready.  We took a couple of weeks off and then went back to offering her food at dinnertime.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>She has taken to it better this time.  She gags rarely and hasn't vomited at the table again. She puts the food in her mouth, but then spits it back out.  It isn't like she doesn't like the taste, because she continues to put more in her mouth.  At the end of the meal nearly everything is in her bib.  She swallows so very little.  She does occasionally swallow some because we do find a little in her diaper on the way out.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Her gag reflex is extremely sensitive and maybe she is going to keep eating like this until that resolves a little bit?  She has been sick and the mucus going down her throat has caused her to vomit several times.  My oldest had a sensitive gag reflex, but I spoonfed her and just pureed the heck out of her stuff.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>She is a very active, bright and happy toddler.  She isn't big, but she is by no means falling off the chart.  She was 18lbs at a year and at every office visit her percentile has increased and she is now close to 25th (this is all on the WHO chart, she is dropping percentiles on the CDC chart).  She is healthy except for this recent illness.  She has no food allergies/sensitivities (and I can say this with certainty as I am well versed in this because of my middle child).  She has 8 teeth and her first set of molars are all coming in, so she has the means to chew.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Is there cause for concern?  The thing that has me wondering this is her spitting out of food.  But perhaps she is still just experimenting?  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks for any insight.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Beth</p>

·
Registered
381 Posts
<p>Mine seems to have issues with the texture and chewing. I still give him a lot of purees at 14mos. He really loves the Ella's Kitchen and Plum Organics purees in the little pouches. He likes to hold them and squish and suck the food out of the pouch. He loves yogurt and kefir so he gets quite a bit of that. And I just keep offering different textures for him to try. I figure he'll get there in time and as long as he's thriving and happy then no worries.</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts