Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How concerned would you be? I haven't met anyone else who's baby waited this long to walk. She's very active and seems pretty bright. She cruises along furniture well, just doesn't go and walk on her own. Her only other factor is that she's fairly small for her age, only 19lbs, which is about the 5th percentile for weight. Any wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I think that is still well within the realm of normal development...as I recall, the range for walking is 9 to 16 months...if she doesn't seem to have any problems standing, getting up and cruising I'd say she is well on her way to walking! You could always ask your ped if you're concerned.

ETA I don't know if the weight has anything to do with it or not. I was at a LLL meeting recently and there was a 14-month-old who was not walking, but he was quite large for his age (not heavy, just tall). I think some kids just take their sweet time!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, your dd will prolly suddenly let go and take off when you least expect it! Two of my kids were over 15 months before they started walking; one is now 16 years old and doing fine, the other is 21 months and runs me ragged every day! Your dd is fine, she just hasn't decided that she wants to take off on her own yet!

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
One of my best friend's son just barely started walking and he's 20 months old. She was so worried, but it seems like he's fine -- very, very laid back and maybe not that great of balance -- but fine.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I think the normal range is 8-18 months--and I got one who walked at 8 months and the other at 16 months. They were both healthy kids--one was just way more motivated to walk than the other!

Ds is now 23 months and can run and is learning to jump and walk downstairs. He can walk up without a rail no problem. I think he's almost totally caught up with Dd who started walking so much earlier!

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
My daughter's Nurse Practitioner mentioned her own son started walking at 16 months. Your 14.5 month old still has time to master walking.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
My son didn't walk until after 14 months. He is 15 months now and cruising right along. No need to worry yet mama!

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
My DS didn't walk on his own until 16 months and he has a friend who waited until 18-19 months. Don't worry mama, you will be running after her in no time

·
Registered
404 Posts
I didn't walk until 18 months and am doing doing pretty well at it now
I was actually speaking in sentences in both French and English before I began to walk
Late walking/early talking runs in my family. Babies each have their own idea of what they want to work on at any given time. I say go with it unless you are truly concerned...

As for my kids, neither crawled. Should have heard the weird advice I got on that one.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Sounds like nothing to worry about mama...especially since she's pulling up and cruising. If your mama-sense is tingling though, you could ask your ped to check her hips and legs at your next visit just to make certain nothing odd is going on (a friend's daughter has an unusual hip turn-out that makes running difficult for her...she's getting physical therapy to correct it so it wont be a problem down the road).

But I'd say enjoy your last few weeks of peace before the running begins!

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
my husband and his sister didnt walk until after 15 months.

my ds is almost 14 months and still doesnt walk hardly. He might be walking at 15 mos..

dont worry about it..

·
Registered
733 Posts
My 2nd ds didn't walk till a few days after he turned 16 months. He was quite pidgeon toed though because as soon as he learned to roll over he always slept on his tummy. He is 4 now and all is good.

·
Registered
970 Posts
18 mos. here. every time i thought she'd take off she just moved on to some other milestone. drove me bananas

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
you have until about 16.5 months until it is considered a "delay" from a developmental therapist point of view. Even then, it is simply a red flag...sort of like a "heads up" kind of thing...if she clearly has no physical or mental issues affecting her development, but is simply a little late in walking, all is good. 95% of kids are walking by 16.5 months, so when a child isn't, it's worth looking at.......now, for most, they are FINE, and simply the ones who are supposed to develop at a later time (sort of like 5% of kids have to be at the 5% or less percentile on the charts...that's how they work, by definition! Most of them aren't suffereing any sort of issue, they are just the smallest ones!)..but for a*some* it is an indicator of a problem, which can then be diagnosed, and treatment started.

No worries!

·
Registered
294 Posts
my dd took her first steps at 16 mos and walked "confidently" at 17 mos. some babies concentrate on other skills first... mine is an early talker/late walker.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts