Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>nm</p>

·
Registered
571 Posts
<p>HI Elliesmomma!</p>
<p>Yup, our little one is the same way.  Especially at dinner...she often leaves our lap and heads up onto the table!  She is a climber too.  She loves to push a little chair around the house.  She just realized that if she pushes it up to the couch, she can climb on up!</p>
<p>How are your two doing?</p>

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
<p>Sounds totally normal to me.  My 15mo DD is always climbing everything.  I generally just let her do her thing.  She's never hurt herself badly, but I suspect it might happen some day.  Kids are great at living up to your expectations.  If you have faith in their ability to balance, they'll often surprise you.  Other people are way more stressed about my DD climbing than I am.</p>

·
Registered
282 Posts
<p>This is our 14 month DS too! If I leave the room for a moment, even to just grab a sweater, he'll be on table when I get back! At first we were able to just pull the chairs away from the table, but then he learned how to push them... Now we take them away from the table and turn them upside down so he can't climb them. It's a little tedious to do it after every meal/snack, but it saves my heart from leaping out of my chest every time I see that he's up there!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And yes, he climbs everything else too. I think it's just a personality thing.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>(As a side note, one of my cousins was a climber like this too and now he is an award winning gymnast!)</p>

·
Registered
776 Posts
<p>My DD is the same way!  She has a wheely bug toy, and she will stand up and balance on it.  I've only seen her fall once, and she was back on it within 3 minutes.  I agree about what the PP said, our kids will live up to our expectations.  I just make sure she's not going to fall on/into something that could actually hurt her.  Oh, and suddenly all of the decorations/candles/remotes etc have to live on the top shelf :)  </p>

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
<p>That's ds2! (Ds1 was nothing like this!) He;s been climbing on the table for months. Once I realized it would be dang near impossible to keep him off, I just let him do it with no help from me (no saying "be careful" or standing near "just in case" either) to let him get in tune with his abilities and balance. He pretty much only falls when someone (usually grandparents) are hovering and worried that he'll fall. lol Our only table rule is that he's not allowed on it when we're eating.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>He's almost 17mos, and his new thing is bringing toys into the kitchen to use as step stools to get to the counter. He'll stand on anything- a rocking horse, the *handle* of a toy on wheels, the back of a little tykes chair, stuff like that. So if I were you, I wouldn't hold out hope of it getting easier any time soon! :lol</p>
<p> </p>
<p>oh, and he's into everything too- anything at his level is in connstant danger of being made a mess. All my glass pans are out of his reach. He's constantly getting in the silverware drawer- and all other drawers for that matter- and taking lots of stuff out and on the floor. My kitchen is organized so wierdly that nobody can figure out where anything is, because all my lower cabinets are unusable for anything unsafe or breakable.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>gg- ds2 is making a mess of the computer desk.:lol</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts