Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He will only breast feed. I tried solids around 7 months he wanted nothing to do with them, I thought ok, no big deal, neither did his sister who went right to table foods at 10 mo. Well, 10 Mo came and went and he still will not eat anything. Won't even let me get near his mouth with anything. He won't take a bottle or sippy or cup with bm, milk water formula. Don't get me wrong, I love to bf him, but I would love to be able to leave him with daddy or grandma for more than 2 hours. Yes, he still nurses every 2 hours all day long, plus wakes up 3 times to nurse at night. I know it sounds selfish, but I want a break. My husband is going to vegas in Feb on buisness and wants to take me but I am afraid he won't be weaned by then. Anyone else go through this? At what age did they start solids/milk?

Judy

·
Registered
42,824 Posts

My dd was not big on solids at all. She's 23 months and still nurses at least 8-12 times a day. Around here you'll find most moms don't wean to milk or formula before 2 years, minimum.

-Angela

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by judybats
He will only breast feed. I tried solids around 7 months he wanted nothing to do with them, I thought ok, no big deal, neither did his sister who went right to table foods at 10 mo. Well, 10 Mo came and went and he still will not eat anything. Won't even let me get near his mouth with anything. He won't take a bottle or sippy or cup with bm, milk water formula. Don't get me wrong, I love to bf him, but I would love to be able to leave him with daddy or grandma for more than 2 hours. Yes, he still nurses every 2 hours all day long, plus wakes up 3 times to nurse at night. I know it sounds selfish, but I want a break. My husband is going to vegas in Feb on buisness and wants to take me but I am afraid he won't be weaned by then. Anyone else go through this? At what age did they start solids/milk?

Judy
We won't ever go to cow's milk and we are letting DS self wean but my son didn't care for solids either and some days still doesn't, he is 18 months. I think the key is offering them many times a day. Get into the habit of making food three times a day and offer it to him. Give him a cup with water in it or a sippy cup and let him just explore. I don't know about you going to Vegas, that seems like a long time to be away from a baby who is used to having you with him plus weaning close to being seperated might be traumatic. Can you take DS with you? Good luck.

·
Registered
796 Posts
No personal experience here - my dd started eating solids at 10 months and eats pretty much constantly all day long and only nurses 4-6 times a day.
But my cousin went to Italy for her 10 year anniversary and let her 18 month breastfed babe with her mother. Just cold turkey. Everyone was fine and she kept nursing when she got home 2 weeks later....

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
My dd is the same age as your ds. She did not eat anything at all until last week. Now she only eats a few bites per day. Just keep nursing. He'll eat solids when he's ready.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
James started solids at around 14 months age, on a regular basis at least. Before that he would snack occasionally.

He is 18 months old and eats solids while I work but nurses right before I leave and then is attached to me the second I pick him up from the sitters...and stays that way the rest of the night

On the other hand if he absoulutly will not allow anything besides solids into his mouth or seems uncomfortable with it either try different textured food or maybe if you're still having this issue in 4 or 5 months see about taking him to the doctor for a referal to an OT.

Good luck to you.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
My DS is 17 months now but just recently started to eat more. Breastmilk is still his main form of nutrition and that's okay at this age. He has a cow's milk allergy/intolerance so there's no supplememnting with that but luckily he will drink rice milk or breast milk when I'm away from him. You might try using a small glass without any type of sippy cup. shot glasses are the perfect size. Another thing is that when I do leave DS with my mom he eats really well and will sip on water if he's thirsty. I think he knows his nursies are not there so he makes do and does just fine.

But I would hold off on the solids, I mean keep food available and if he's interested he will eat. I know it's hard to feel like you are nursing constantly especially when you need a break. I would nurse him right before you want to go somewhere and then right away when you get home if he wants.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I wonder if it could be that he is sensitive/allergic to certain foods? My son did pretty well with solids, but a friend of mine, her daughter didn't want to eat much at all and was an avid nurser, and it turns out she is allergic to dairy, would break out in hives if she ate any! I think sometimes refusing solids is a self protective measure.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Do you like change? Most people don't. Wait it out. I bet that at about the 20 month marker, solid food will be more interesting and will seem more normal, if it has been made an alternative to mama milk (which WILL remain to be the main source of food). With my 3rd ds, he's been ALLLLLLLLLL about the booby, almost to a fault (caused mama to rethink clw and many other things related to foods and eating/drinking b/c she [okay, ME...aka the mama] was about to go freaking skip didly do dah off the deep end trying to provide most of the nutrition for a child who weighed 30 lbs.
). Offer more food and drink that isn't your milk more often and see what happens. Just have it out there as a constant alternative. And hang in there. This is but a short time in their lives. Hard while we're living it, but short in retrospect.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
my james was pretty slow to start solids, but would take a little something from 7 months on. he only just figured out an open cup or straw cup at 19 months - hasn't been able to do bottle since 4 months or sippy really ever.

for the solids we just offered regularly and tried changing up the textures, temperatures, flavors, and the method of offering. he hated having that spoon approach his mouth. at first he liked to finger feed himself or have us feed him with our fingers. then from about 10-15 months he wanted spoon feeding by us... that was when he reliably started taking at least some solid food every day. and now he's back to wanting to feed himself, and on to 3 meals plus snacks as of 18ish months.

one thing we discovered with the spoon that made a big difference for him was the angle of approach... we'd been heading straight into his mouth... no dice... he wanted it to come down from a high angle... so the spoon was almost vertical when it got to his mouth. who knows why!?! it also had to be a very small spoon - like those "disposable" infant feeding spoons. he used those until he was able to start spoonfeeding himself (sortof).

and finally... this sounds a little cruel, but since he was so skittish about food, we found out that if we touched the food to his lips he would often calm down about his fear of the food and open up to try it. a number of times he would be signing "all done" and making faces and leaning away, but if we touched the spoon to his cheek he would instantly relax, open his mouth and then devour the whole serving in eager spoonfuls. i felt kind of deceitful doing that... but when he loved to eat so much when i could just get him over that initial hesitance... i kept doing it. another strategy that was more friendly was to let him eat some finger food first that he really liked, then offer something that we would help him with. that way he got relaxed, got the edge off his hunger, and was more willing to try what we offered.

i think he must have just had an oral sensitivity... even when we were starting to breastfeed he was always turning away from the breast when he opened his mouth (or conversely clamping it down if he saw a nipple coming!) who knows - maybe our latching struggles early on made him afraid to deal with things being introduced into his mouth???

oh, and go to vegas, bring the kids, and don't wean just for that! vegas will always be there

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
My DS started solids around 14 months. My milk supply dropped due to pregnancy and he was so hungry he had to eat. Once he realized they weren't totally evil he went nuts on them. Just try to be patient. I know how frustrating it is to be the SOLE source of nutrition for such a long time. It's irritating and so hard to deal with...no one in my family really understood so I got no support.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mezzaluna
oh, and go to vegas, bring the kids, and don't wean just for that! vegas will always be there

:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Just wanted to let you know that my 13 month old has just started eating a little solid food (maybe a teaspoon full) everyday, and still nurses many times during the day and a few times at night. I think that it's totally normal. I really wouldn't worry about it. Most babies will take solids when they are ready and no "pushing" is going to speed that up.

Good luck and when it gets hard, just try to remeber that your babe will never be this little again. You're going to blink and he'll be 25, so soak up the baby and mommy time while you can.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
My almost fifteen month old STILL nurses every two hours or more...and his solid food intake varies. Some days, he will eat three crackers, and breastmilk. Other days, he eats oatmeal and grilled cheese on wheat bread with lots of fruit. Most days, he just picks at fruit and grains here and there. The breastmilk is still his main nutrition, and he is just fine.

Take him to Vegas. Nursing is so much more than nutrition...if he is not ready to wean, abrubt weaning for a trip could really uspset him.

I know nursing seems like such a long time...but it goes so quickly. I agree to just put out lots of different foods all day. He'll eat when he is ready.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Not to bum you out or anything, but my dd is 22 months and still not really eating solids. I offer her food 3-5 times a day and she usually will fool around with it, put a few bites in her mouth and then spit them out. She started swalllowing at least a little at around 16 - 17 months (as evidenced by her diapers...ew!) but most days it's only a mouthful or two. (although lately she will eat dark chocolate consistantly). She nurses maybe 10 times a day.
We've tried everything we can think of to get her to eat and are currently working with two therapists. They have no idea, but they come and play with her once a month and give me ideas for things to try. We are all thinking that it's a protective mechanism because she has multiple food allergies. Still, I know the feeling of wanting a break. It's hard work being the sole nutritional support for a toddler! But I think that if nothing else is wrong, they eat when they're ready and nothing you do is going to change that. Just keep offering food and remember that human milk is the perfect food for human babies...so at least your child will thrive even if the whole thing isn't how you expected...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you everyone for your advice and sharing your stories. I felt like I was all alone, all my friends and family think there is something really wrong with him not eating yet and still just breastfeeding. He is starting to lick things more, still won't eat but this is a step. If he does get something in his mouth by accident he gags, so I am wondering if he just has a really powerful gag reflex. His dr. wants to send us to a speech therapist, which I think I may do. Thank you for all your reassurances.

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
Despite whether he is weaned then or not it may be too early to consider leaving him.

You did mention gagging which put up flags for me because of my daughter's experience. She had an oral aversion and through the help of an oral therapist she did eventually learn to eat. We started seeing him around 15-16 months and she did start actually eating at 21 months.

I hope its nothing and that you will be able to find a solution.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts