Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Hi There,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My 14 month old son has been since for about 12 days. It started as a runny nose. We called the doc (since he's our first kid and I'm one of those crazy parents) the second day he was sick and they said that if his snot turned color (which it hasn't) or if he developed a fever (which he hasn't) to bring him in. Since then he's gotten better but at night (like right now) he's in a coughing fit. He coughs and turns red and can't get the mucus out of his chest. We took him into the doc on Saturday (yesterday) and they said there's nothing we can do for him. Too young for meds. Put on the humidifier and rub baby Vick's on his chest. We've been doing that so thanks for nothing doc. I've read online to give him honey but my doc said not to give him any until he's 2 years old. So is there ANYTHING out there that you guys have tried that have worked? He gets up a couple of times a night and can be coughing for up to 30 mins or so. Poor little guy. I can't take it anymore. Neither can my DH. He's like "We gotta figure something out."</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Suggestions?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks.</p>

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
<p>No advice really, just hang in there. There is some kind of nasty respiratory thing going on this year- everyone I know has the same horrible hacking cough. My entire family has had this cough for over a month, and we did go through the fever/green snot thing.  I wouldn't worry if it lingers as long as he is acting ok- maybe try a hot shower?</p>

·
Registered
476 Posts
Sounds like my 18 month old ds who has suspected whooping cough (waiting on culture results). See my thread I started yesterday a few posts down. He pretty much only coughs during nap time and night when he wakes up from sleeping. Google "whooping cough sound" to see what it sounds like and see the videos of kids coughing. The "whoop" sound is not there in a lot of cases. I videotaped ds coughing and showed it to the dr since I knew ds wouldn't cough in the office. She said it looked like whooping cough. She prescribed antibiotics even though she said it may not help. We aren't going to do the antibiotics though and are treating with sodium ascorbate to bowel tolerance, vitamin D drops, and probiotics. I tried to get in as much SA in him as possible yesterday ( put it in all his food and drinks) and he seems better to me today ( no coughing when he went down for nap). He got sick a month ago with a runny nose, congestion, and fever for 2 days, but the cough didn't develop till 2 weeks ago, which is how whooping cough normally progresses. I've been sick the same amount of time, but my cough is super mild which is how whooping cough is in adults. Plus, I'm pretty sure I had a bad case of whooping case in high school and I read that any subsequent cases are mild.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
<p>I was going to say whooping cough, too. Sounds a bit like the typical progression. Whatever it is, Sodium Ascorbate can't hurt, and might help. I would give that a try. </p>

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<p>Sorry I don't reply as quickly as I should. I am reading. :)<br><br>
Thank you all for the suggestions. My mother (who doesn't live with us, but is with the baby at some point everyday pretty much) and my husband both have terrible colds no fever and a deep cough as well. I'm gonna go google whooping coughs now.</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts