Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I am posting becuase I need suggestions on how to deal with dd's biting. She has been biting me and my husband. She is 14 months and has some teeth (all in front) and is actually leaving teeth marks on us for quite a while. My parents suggested smacking her mouth which needless to say is NOT an option. Right now I just redirect her energy or try to catch her before she bites since most of the time she does it to get my attention. I am usually doing research on the computer or washing dishes when she does it. I know she doesnt realize it hurts becuase she is laughing and thinks it's a game. Any suggestions on how to portray that biting is not OK in a nice, positive way?

I am so afraid of making her feel the way I felt growing up (no privacy, fearing getting spanked for misbehaviors, etc) and would really like some GD ways to deal. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Well, now's as good of a time as any to start the mantra: No biting, biting hurts and we don't hurt each other. Here's something you can bite... and have a quick assortment of teethers, chewy things available. It does get better with lots of repetition - by the time she's 3 you'll be saying it in your sleep! :LOL Just remember to be consistent - pick a phrase like that that works for you & use it every single time and keep offering acceptable alternatives. Good luck!

·
Registered
405 Posts
omg, i JUST POSTED THIS EXACT SAME THING ONLY i HAVE A 15 MO OLD BOY BITING MY 4 YEAR OLD son. My 15 mo old is getting 8 teeth at once- whew!!! this is really hard. I have redirected also and given him alternatives as soon as I say biting hurts we don't bite! He then has a smirk on his face and my 4 year old starts to cry. This is constant when they are together, but they used to play together nicely... I hope this is just a phase during the teething. Offering many hugs to you and your little one..... I'm sure it can be equally as frustrating for them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts