Mothering Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is 14 months and weighs about 30 pounds. My son has never been a picky eater. He would eat WHATEVER, you put in front of him. Now these past two weeks, he's "all of a sudden a picky eater." Any other babies like this? Its so frustrating, and I don't want to give him 5 things until it's what he wants. He will literally turn his head immediately, shake his head no, and push the spoon out of my hand. I don't want him growing him thinking he's always gonna get what he wants, is he too young to where if he refuses food he doesn't get something else????

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is he still nursing? 14 months is still so tiny, neither of mine were eating very much at that age and were ok. I would put a few things in front of him and allow him to self feed and then just nurse plenty until he is interested again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We nursed for about 2 days lol. He has always had a big appetite, that why I'm concerned jus all of a sudden he's starting to not like things

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Does he not like the food or not want to be fed from a spoon? I'd also try finger good as itzj suggested.

I wouldn't offer unlimited options. Apart from anything else, I think little people find it overwhelming. I'd offer one or two things which I knew he had eaten ok before then I think mealtime would be over. At that age you could try again in an hour I think but I wouldn't be too concerned if he seemed otherwise fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Again, sounds normal.

Now, did the picky eating coincide with the beginning of the hair eating? That might be less than normal.

It's too bad the little bub didn't get to nurse. I hope he is at least still getting lots of formula. I don't think you should be a short-order cook, but I also don't think babies should be spoon fed, especially at 14 months.

Put soft mushy chunks on the tray and go about your business eating your own food. Don't act the slightest bit interested in what or how much your son eats. Be matter of fact. Food is food. Eating is eating. It has to be done, it should be enjoyed. Just put some food there for him to smash with his hands, rub in his hair, smear all over his face, and maybe even put in his mouth. It only becomes an issue when we parents make it one.

But for real, stop with the spoon feeding. He's got two hands, let him learn how to use the spoon himself. I wouldn't be surprised if his food refusal was more about not wanting to be fed than not wanting to eat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took him off of his at 12 months, just like his pediatrician recommended. I guess I shouldve specified, I was feeding him spaghettios, which are kinda hard for him to pick up. He has ate them many times before, and thats the only food I feed him from a spoon.

·
Registered
455 Posts
As children grow so does their sense of taste. Most babies have very underdeveloped taste buds and will eat just about anything. As their taste buds develop more they start having more preferences. Throughout childhood their tastes and preferences will change with their changing body chemistry.

By the way, I think there's an important difference between being picky and expressing a preference. I would also turn my head away if someone stuck food in my face that I didn't want to eat. 14 months is plenty old enough to start self feeding, and to eat table foods as long as they aren't choking hazards. You don't have to be a short order cook if he's eating the same things you are. I would also recommend continuing to give him formula for now just to fill in any nutritional gaps until he's eating more reliably.

My 18 month old feeds himself almost exclusively, including handling his own spoon, and was doing so at 14 months as well. He also has definite preferences. I give him 3-4 options at each meal, in very small portions, and he chooses what/how much to eat. If I'm giving him a food I'm not sure he'll eat I try to serve it with a sure fire favorite. Some of his favorites right now include plain yogurt, applesauce, roast beef, broccoli, roast squash, prunes and cheese.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have found the only thing my son will allow me to spoon feed him is yogurt as he can't manage to get as much as me on the spoon LOL He is 17 months old and has been going through a fussy stage for 4 months I just don't stress anymore as he gets his nutrition from the bottle however I am starting to try and wean off the bottle and I have just purchased a book that I will post to you if anything useful is found.

Hope it goes well!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kids develop personal tastes and willful little personalities very young. All little babies eat whatever baby food you toss in their mouths, but as they start to gain that first bit of independence, it's NORMAL for them to start being "picky" and refusing new foods. Think about it from an evolution perspective. Do you like to eat foods you find offensive? What if someone withheld food from you until you ate something you couldn't stand? Your job isn't to make him eat this or that but to give him options. He will eat what he eats when he's ready to eat it. As long as he's healthy, stop sweating it. There is no point getting into a power struggle with a 14 month old and denying him food he likes until he eats ones he doesn't like in order to teach him some big life lesson.

Let me also say that it's important you rule out medical reasons for the behaviour, as at that age it's very possible for the cause of the refusal to be sensory. In which case, denying food and otherwise punishing is even more counterproductive and damaging.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Here's what my approach has been.

Don't push food. Serve him finger foods for now. As soon as he can serve himself, stop putting foods on his plate. Show a lot of interest in healthy foods and anyone's healthy eating, your own, your spouse's, other kids, this kid, be verbal and enthusiastic about catching everyone doing good. Show zero interest in anyone's picky eating. Banish the term "picky eater" (and all similar terms) from your vocabulary, never never use it within earshot of the kid, and try to get everyone else to do the same. If he eats only one healthy food like strawberries, then refer to him a kid that eats healthy foods like strawberries. You control what is in the house and what is served but don't talk about this like you are lording over your kid, just act and don't debate the matter. Do subtly pay attention to his likes and dislikes and try to serve some healthy foods that he likes. Serve a food many times without giving up, try to make it smell good and be appealing. Take the kid to farmer's markets and pick-it-yourself farms and grow stuff and home if you can. Ge the kid involved in food prep.

Kids have growth spurts, they may slow down for a while.

Keep an eye his weight and weight gain, talk to your ped if it's out of the norm on the low side, but I never had this problem, things went well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is very normal for kids to go through picky eating stages.

Let him spend time in the kitchen with you when you cook.

Take him shopping and expose him to the produce isle.

Never force him to eat something that he clearly does not like. We all have our food preferences.

Don't offer him junk food. Always give him healthy choices. Lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, etc.

And above all, never give up (http://orgali.ca/2014/08/tip-6-dealing-picky-eaters-never-give/).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts