Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - I have been a member for quite awhile and I do a good job of lurking but a bad job of staying current in these parts

I am currently 15 weeks PG and I have a 14 month old DD. I never imagined I'd be Pg and nursing. The first trimester was a breeze no pain no real problems. The last two weeks have been aweful - my nipples are on FIRE
and the latch hurts and pretty muchthe whole nursing session. To make matters more uncomfortable she is popping ona nd off to sign "more" to me - I am guessing b/c my supply has totally dropped off. I can't imagine she'll nurse much more - she is barely nursing now. I believe in child led weaning and was hoping to nurse her until she was 2 and now I feel like me becoming pregnant is to blame for her weaning. Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated.

Erika

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
On the latch, it helped me to have dd really open her mouth wide to latch on. My dd tends to suck the nipple into her mouth, so after we worked on this a little it didn't feel so ouchy when she latched on.

My dd cut down to nursing just before nap and bedtime when I was right around 19-20 weeks, around the same time my milk supply really took a dive. She continued to nurse before nap/bed until colostrum and then started asking again. So it's possible that your dd will hang in there. I did offer dd water or a snack if she was upset, but only after nursing. I really didn't limit her much either until about the last three weeks or so (I was so uncomfortable in general, but especially during nursing).

Have you read Adventures in Tandem Nursing? There's a lot of information there about nursing while pregnant.

Hang in there!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the encoruagement. i have read Adventures in Tandem nursing and I found it to be a bit of a downer in a way, but very informative about the facts of the situation. We'll hang in there and I'm going to work on getting her to open wider and take in mroe breast again.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
dry nursing was very hard for me....physically hurt....dd was unsatisfied and i felt very emotionally torn about taking care of the baby inside of me or the baby in my arms. (not that nursing hurt my in utero babe in any way....just that i wasn't sure i was up for tandem nursing and wished i had not gotten preg so soon...it was just a very emotional time).

i was w/out mikk from 20weeks to about 24/25 weeks. it was a tough month. once my colostrum came in, nursing hurt less and dd seemed more satisfied.

when i was w/out milk i thought dd might wean. a couple of times she went a whole day w/out nursing...but she hung on and i'm glad she did. i'm really enjoying tandem nursing!!!

good luck mama!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts