Mothering Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got my 14mo son his toddler bed yesterday and my boyfriend has been very adimant that he is still too young for it. Even the guy helping me at the store thought he was too young.

Anyway, the reason I got it for him is that at least three times a day he would get his legs stuck in the slots of his crib. It got to the point that I would have to use lotion to get him out and he would be bruised from it occasionally. It was getting so bad that I feared one morning I'd wake up to him having broke his leg.

What are your opinions on this and how long did you wait or are planning to wait before buying a toddler bed.

Also, he slept perfectly in it last night. Only fell once and that was when I first put it together. He climbed up and when he tried to get down he did a little somersault over the edge.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
For a very mobile small toddler, cribs get dangerous fast. I might opt for a crib mattress on the floor at this stage, though, to avoid falling injuries.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For a very mobile small toddler, cribs get dangerous fast. I might opt for a crib mattress on the floor at this stage, though, to avoid falling injuries.
Yeaaaa I tried that xD
First he just crawled off and started pushing the mattress around. Then i put it inside his playpen and he ended up falling asleep in this weird position where the mattress wasn't and woke up super cranky.
After that, I just started having him sleep in the pak'n'play and that wasn't too bad I hated that it didn't really have a good cushion. I thought it may start to mess with his flat spot.

I'm ordering one of those add on rails soon to extend the full length of the bed so it'll be safer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you can see what I mean by the rolled up blankets, it's about half a foot tall.
He really can't crawl over this. That and I give him plenty of toys and such when I'm putting him down to keep his attention.

And this morning he did get down on his own and slept with no incident of falling.
If he does start falling I'll put him back in the pack'n'play until I get a longer guard rail.

I just don't get why the packaging for toddler beds says 15+mo but they don't have full length rails.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
A rail keeps a child from rolling off a bed accidentally, but in the case that a child gets upright and climbs, a rail increases the height the child can fall from.

There is nothing unsafe about a toddler shoving a mattress around a floor, but your child already has a history of getting legs stuck between rails. It's not safer to get them stuck between bed rails than it is to get them stuck between crib rails.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A rail keeps a child from rolling off a bed accidentally, but in the case that a child gets upright and climbs, a rail increases the height the child can fall from.

There is nothing unsafe about a toddler shoving a mattress around a floor, but your child already has a history of getting legs stuck between rails. It's not safer to get them stuck between bed rails than it is to get them stuck between crib rails.

It's not that I think it's unsafe but rather he won't go to sleep on it. Last time I tried this he ended up falling asleep on the hardwood and I don't want it to affect his flat spot.

The rail that I was looking is http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=66234626&cp=&parentPage=search this one. But you're right about it being more likely to to cause a higher fall.

This morning when he got up, he managed to get out of bed on his own without falling. Like I said earlier, if he does start falling often then I'm going to set him back up in the pack'n'play until he's old enough for the bed. But as it is right now, he loves his bed and has been sleeping in it regularly just fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My DD was done with her crib at that age and DS just a few months later. DD would just cry unless we took her to bed with us and it eventually got so tiresome we gave up and let her sleep with us. DS would climb out of the crib. I tried putting him in the travel crib and he would climb out of that too. I moved him into the bottom bunk of DD's bunk beds (it is actually a mattress on slats on the floor so nothing to fall off of. He won't stay all night - always comes to our room and climbs into bed with us at some point when he wakes up. I suspect you'll also have a hard time getting DS to stay in his own bed all night in the long run but maybe not. If he's acting ready and the crib is a problem, I don't see what age has to do with it :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm actually really proud with how well he adjusted. He's been in it for almost 2 weeks now. Stays in bed all night and has gotten out on his own only a handful of times. I think he keeps forgetting how he does it lol

Yesterday I let him play in his room with the baby gate up while I took a shower and when I got out and went to check on him, he had climbed up into bed on his own and was taking his nap. With how young he is I never expected him to do that.

And for all the nay-sayers who said I was putting him in danger, he hasn't fallen out of bed or hurt himself in anyway since the first day I put it together.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So i got my 14mo son his toddler bed yesterday and my boyfriend has been very adimant that he is still too young for it. Even the guy helping me at the store thought he was too young.

Anyway, the reason I got it for him is that at least three times a day he would get his legs stuck in the slots of his crib. It got to the point that I would have to use lotion to get him out and he would be bruised from it occasionally. It was getting so bad that I feared one morning I'd wake up to him having broke his leg.

What are your opinions on this and how long did you wait or are planning to wait before buying a toddler bed.

Also, he slept perfectly in it last night. Only fell once and that was when I first put it together. He climbed up and when he tried to get down he did a little somersault over the edge.
My DD2 was 18 months when I bought a bunk bed for her and her older sister (she slept on the bottom bunk and her sister on the top). I bought it because DD2 never slept in the crib (she co-slept with me but if she was ever in the crib she would scream and try to climb out), so I felt it would be a safer option to put her into a bed instead of force her into the crib.

She loved it. She has fallen off the bed a few times, but it's not a far fall and she doesn't get upset about it. I also have put her cot mattress beside her bed on the floor (but slightly under the bed) so if she does fall, she just falls on the cot mattress. She's gotten better and barely ever falls off the bed now :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
High five!

Hi! I know that it is already too late to leave my opinion, but I just wanted to support you. My son tried the toddler bed at the same age and he really liked and nothing scary was in that decision, so don't worry! The most important that you love your kid))

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
My daughter was in a child-proof room behind baby gates right next door to our room and she slept on a mattress on the floor. Sometimes she slept on a pile of blankets and pillows and toys on the soft rug if she decided to roam and play in the night. She loved her room and would often go there on her own to rest and nap :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts