Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not certain this is the place to post my question but,
my 14 mos. old dd is refusing to drink anything from a bottle. I work and would nurse her in the morning and when I come home. My mil takes care of her during the day and dd eats solids like an adult. So she feeds plenty and she loves yogurt so she get that as well. But I am afraid she is not getting enough to drink. We've tried lots of diff. nipples and zippys but she doesn't want the bottle and with the zippy she'd literally take zips and it would take forever to even get in an ounce. She was taking a bottle ever since I returned to work when she was 4-1/2 mos. but recently she has gone on a bottle strike. My mil suggests that I wean so dd would not have a choice but to take a bottle (out of thirst or hunger) but I don't want to wean and I don't feel like that is a solution.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mary

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Definitely don't wean her. The closeness and immunities she's getting are still needed. I'd even try to step up the nursing. Are you co-sleeping? She could make up for what she's not getting during the day with some extra nursing at night.

I wouldn't worry too much about trying to get her to take a bottle. Will she drink from a regular cup? How about with a straw? Lots of nursing toddlers like straws.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi--
Devon takes tiny sips from a regular cup. So, it will take a real long time to take in say, 3 oz.
I would have no prob. nursing her more, in fact the weekends I am all hers.

BOTH Devon and I are so not wanting to wean right now but I am concerned since I have a trip coming up and she will need to take SOMETHING in my absence. I will be away for 3 days.
Oh, I should add that she is eating full on solids and has since about 10 mos.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Mary
:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.