Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is 15 months, not yet walking. We did a very part time ec when he was younger, and I'd sometimes catch a pee or poop. Now, he tends to poop during breakfast, and I sign potty to him when I notice, and then go change him. Recently he pooped and then signed potty to me. I'd love to catch him before he goes, so I can get him out of his seat and take him to the potty--did I mention he HATES diaper changes?--before we have to change a poopy diaper. Suggestions?

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Telling you that he pooped is a good sign. It's one of the steps towards potty-learning.

Reinforce it by telling him that poop goes in the potty--I'd take him with you to scrape the diaper off into the toilet.

If he always poops during breakfast, could you go by timing and sit him on a potty or a toilet seat reducer?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We use disposables, and no, I'm not going back to cloth. What I might do, is put him in cloth training pants after he goes poop when we're at home, just to make both of us aware of when he pees.

But continuing the story, the next day, he again signed potty after he went in his diaper. Then, the next day, he farted first thing in the morning, signed potty, and went pee in the potty when I took him. That was pretty cool. It had been many months. During diaper changes, I've been telling him that he can poop in the potty, while I sign potty.

I would love for him to be mostly using the potty by the time he is two (in 8 months) because a preschool that he might go to charges extra for kids in diapers.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I agree with the PP--it is a step forward. Keep on doing what you are doing, and eventually he'll be telling you before he needs to go. I'd be very relaxed about it--even if he tells you after the fact, it is still great!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Beware showing your DS that you scrape poop into the toilet... I showed my 15 mo DS that, and the next time I changed him in the bathroom he threw his diaper into the toilet!

I'd suggest sitting with your DS on the potty after breakfast if he hasn't pooped yet, and bringing toys and books and entertaining him, then when he goes, talk about it and be excited and whatnot. Toots are a good indicator too.

Tjej

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.