I am feeling under the weather (in bed, nauseous, blah), however, so I am going to use this technique to work on my digital pictures. I'll get someone to bring me a timer and every 15 minutes, I will close the program (only way to save changes
). Maybe in short spurts, I'll be motivated to do all this AGAIN. I spent hours on it a few days ago and the program freaked out and I had to force quit, which lost allllll those changes.
(DH & I think we fixed the problems that caused the "freak out"....)
I did the 15-minute thing on Monday for real.
I spent 15 minutes in every room on our main level (an hour total), plus 15 minutes out front and 15 minutes on a kitchen project.
Another 15 minutes of digital picture management. Still on wedding pics in mid-June 1999.
My goals for this pass are:
1. Create new "events" when current event has more than 100 pictures. (It is too cumbersome to find pictures by approximate date with hundreds of photographs in each general event back in the early events. We have nearly 17,000 digital pictures!)
2. Ensure every picture has appropriate keywords.
3. Name most pictures or delete them. They don't have to be creative names, but meaningful and descriptive. (I purposely left our professional wedding pics the original numbers given by the photographer. We know our favorites by the number and it keeps them in order because they were actually scans all done on the same day. We have the negatives now and another project is to scan all of those and match them up to the scanned photo.)
4. Ensure each pic is dated correctly or at least as close as I can. Scans are dated with the date it was imported into the library unless someone (me) manually changes the date. I have a key word "scan" for another pass, but at this point I am just going in date order for the above 3 tasks and taking care of #4 as I see them.
5. Reverting photos back to the original in most cases. We use a lot of pictures in various things and crop and otherwise alter the original frequently. In recent years, I made a copy of the original to mess around with, which left the original alone. Back in the beginning, though, I am finding we just used the original to play with. I am either deleting the copies (if it is a simple to recreate change) or keeping it and naming it the exact same as the original with the word "COPY" at the end.
Okay, break time is over. Back to another 15 minutes...