Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has this happened to anybody else? Is it "normal"? Is there something I could/should do differently?

After a few months of transitioning from 2 naps to one, dd 15 mo is now enjoying a solid 1.5-2 hour nap in the afternoon. But, instead of going to sleep at 7-7:30PM as she has forever, she is not really showing sleepy signs until 8:30, and has been going to sleep closer to 9PM or even 9:30PM.

I don't really mind it, but would prefer an earlier bedtime, and also don't want to be creating a bad habit, if I should be doing something else.

I've been doing our traditional routines, starting a little later, but as soon as we get to the bedroom she signs that she's hungry (so we go downstairs and get more food, sometimes 2-3 times). She'll want books, but not get sleepy. She'll nurse happily for 15 minutes, then get up and try to head for downstairs-- screaming if I try to stop her.

Thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
DD's 14 months and is trying to decide if she wants 1 or 2 naps. She too goes to bed "later". I don't know if it's normal or not and really have stopped worrying about what time she goes down and more about the amount and quality overall.

She wakes up at least 1x a night.

IMO, if she's ok during the day- just follow her lead. You can always try shifting her bedtime if it's affecting your sleeping.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for replies. i've realized that it's *me* whose tired at 9! i have always been a morning person, and am really winding down by then.

since we're just abt to travel for holidays, i wont do much abt it til we get back.

still love to hear more opinions on 9:30 bedtime, and if anyone's successfully adjusted it earlier.

thanks!! -delilah

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpoupore View Post
i guess i'm curious if people see 9:30pm as problematic for a toddler.

she's sleeping (w/some wake-ups) until 8am-ish.

thanks!
My DD is 22 months and we have been having this problem for the last month. She transitioned to one nap around 15 months(?) and for a long time she could nap for 1 to 2 hours and go down at 8pm. Now she takes a 1-2 hour nap and doesn't go down until 9 or 9:30pm. She is in daycare and they nap from 12:30-3:00pm. She doesn't stay down the whole time, but that's the time range. I've figured out that she basically gets tired enough to sleep 7 hours after she has woken up from her nap. She gets up between 7-8am. Oh, she does not sleep through the night.

So, no advice, just commiseration. I would like her to go down earlier so DH and I can have some alone time. I just find I stay up later to get that extra "me" time, which, of course, makes me more tired the next day.

BTW, I think if your child is happy and developing correctly, 9:30pm is not too late for a toddler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.