Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying I'm always the woman telling other mamas not to worry about their children's weird eating habits, lack of appetite, small stature, etc. I generally have a lot of faith in a toddler's ability to read his body and know when/what to eat (if only healthy choices are available).

Nevertheless, I have to admit that yesterday's WBV left me doubting myself. DS has not gained a single pound in six months! I'd feel better if he was at least getting taller, but that's not really happening either.

DS was 8 lb. 11 oz. at birth and was almost 20 lbs. at 3 mo. (yes, a big boy!), but now his growth has levelled off so completely that, well, it's hard not to fell worried.

Anyone else have such lopsided growth in toddlerhood?

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
My dd hasn't gained any weight since she was 9 months old. She's 20 months old.

At birth she was 7lbs 6oz and was 16lbs at 3 months. At 6 months she was 20lbs. At 9 months she was 25lbs, which is where she is today. However, she's gone off the charts in height, so it's obvious she's growing well. I love that she's so tall (I'm hopeing she got her fathers height, not mine, lol) but I gotta say I miss the chubby baby. She's so skinny!

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
My dd was 20 lb at 4 months and is around 24 lb at 20 months. Once she got mobile, she just stopped putting on weight. She's still in the 50th percentile and totally healthy!

As long as your babe is looking and acting healthy, don't sweat it!

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
DD was 9lbs 5oz at birth, 21 pounds flat at a year and 21 pounds 1 oz at 16 months. She got a little taller, but her weight stayed totally flat. Once they go mobile I think they just burn everything off as soon as they eat it!

If your toddler is eating well and happy I wouldn't worry about the steady weight. I'd only take him back to the ped if he seems to be running out of energy a lot, or producing too few diapers, or doing something that sets your mama-sense a'tingling.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My DS also stopped gaining weight around his first birthday. At the 18 month WBV our pediatrician became concerned. After asking lots of questions we finally figured out that our DS needed some outside help from a feeding therapist.

Is your son eating solid food -- age appropriate amounts and textures? If he is then I wouldn't worry - he just has his own growth pattern.

I know it is hard not to worry. Hang in there, mama!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
How is his head circumference (sp?) and physical/cognitive devlopment? My understanding is that, in terms of nutrition, it goes first to the brain, then to height, and finally to weight.

A pediatrician friend of ours says the most important thing is hitting developmental milestones reasonably, then head size, then height, and weight is the last thing to worry about and the weakest indicator of problems/good health.

That said, I have gluten-intolerance, and I think that esp if DC isn't growing in height, you may want to think about some sort of problem w/absorption (people with celiac, for instance, may be eating plenty, but not absorbing key nutrients). What did your ped say?

We're actually going to see a pediatric GI for a similar reason. DD grew like gangbusters for most of her first year. At around the time she started eating any significant quantity of solid food, her weight & height leveled off. She also didn't cut any new teeth for about 6 months. We then eliminated gluten & dairy, and she grew, and got a mess of new teeth - perhaps coincidence, perhaps not, so we're checking it out given my history, and the fact that she has frequent, loose bowel movements.

I know it can be worrisome! I'm also not one to fuss about eating habits, but not growing for months is a little bit nerve-wracking! Keep us posted!

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
my dd is the same way
just under 9 at birth, was 20 lb by 3.5 months....hit 30 lbs at about 10 months...and now, at 23 months, is still 30 pounds.
Yep, a YEAR of no weight gain.
She has, however, grown many inches, and slimmed up into a nice, about average toddler, from a super-humungo-round baby, LOL!

It's all about health, not weight!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much for your imput, mamas! It's really comforting to know there are other toddlers with similar growth patterns as DS. (BTW, he's been 22 lbs. for these six months...) Honestly, he really looks like the picture of good health--he's got healthy color, loads of energy, and big, chubby cheeks... It's just his chart that looks so whacked-out.

I'll admit, though, that I've been offering him snacks compulsively today!

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
My oldest dd grew normally throughout her 1st year, although she was small, then completely quit gaining weight! The docs were concerned for awhile, but she was perfectly healthy, amazingly smart, and getting taller. Between age one and two she went from 17lbs to only 20lbs - I didn't turn her carseat around until she was 18mos, because she wouldn't reach that 20lb mark! She's now almost 8 and only weighs 44lbs! She's just petite. She gets excited when she gains weight - wish I had that problem!!

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
I think this is something you have to talk to the DR about etc. He should definitely be growing in height though IMO, even if weight gain isn't great. Evan gained a # from 6-10 mos (he went from 15-16#) and then when we figured out he had more food allergies than though and switched the formula we were supplementing w/ and changed my diet more, he gained 2# in 2 mos. He's 20 mos now and has gained a little over 4# (he lost some, he was at 5#) from being on his formula and off most foods. He hasn't gained much in height either, but I'm not tall so maybe he's just short. It's something we'll mention at his 2yo appt and see what the DR says. He's 22# and 30.5" at 20 mos, the same height and lower weight than my oldest was at 12 mos.
Some of the easier things to do is cut dairy, soy, or gluten or have his thyroid tested which would have to do w/ the height issue. Big babies don't always stay big babies though and can take a while to gain weight after they've leveled off. Good luck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Lurking*

Miranda didn't gain a pound between 15-18 months when she was gaining atleast a pound the rest of the 3 month periods of time. lol I was worried.. But i guess i just kinda forgot about it. lol I also don't go to WBV's so I made no appt for it. she was eating normally, she wasn't acting any different. I just figured the weight gain slowed down.

she's now gained around 4 pounds since then (she's 23 months old now)

Why didn't you ask the doctor about it? maybe you should call and ask?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
My girl was 8 lb at birth and got up to 23 pounds by 1 yr. She'll be 2 in a few weeks and now weighs...21.5 pounds. She's lost 1.5 pounds in a year. But she's taller, active, talking, all teethy, above average head circ, etc. I'm not concerned. If your DC seems healthy, I wouldn't sweat it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.